1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best NHL announcers..

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by FLWingNut, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1 of 78
    FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    ..other than your favorite teams' crew. I thought of this while watching the Dallas/Min game tonight. I think the Dallas guys are pretty good. I also think the LA Kings' guys, Mike Emerick with the Devils, and Dave Strader and Darren Pang with Phoenix are pretty good, too.

I miss Gary Thorne, though.

2. Jan 7, 2008 #2 of 78
    Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I've always liked Jim Hughson of the Vancouver Canucks and CBC's Hockey Night in Canada!:)

3. Jan 7, 2008 #3 of 78
    dacoop2

dacoop2 AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    Kings play-by-play man Bob Miller is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

4. Jan 7, 2008 #4 of 78
    Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a Ranger fan, But have always liked Mike Emrick of the Devils, Gary Thorne of the old ESPNII days was very good as well.

5. Jan 7, 2008 #5 of 78
    Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007

I can't argue with any of your choices.

6. Jan 8, 2008 #6 of 78
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Randy Hahn,Gary Thorne & Chris Cuthbert

7. Jan 8, 2008 #7 of 78
    Davesmith8

Davesmith8 Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Good choices, FLWingNut. Nashville has the worst. I turn the sound off when I get their feed for a Wings game.

8. Jan 8, 2008 #8 of 78
    MikeJW

MikeJW Mentor

Aug 17, 2006
    John Ahlers and Brian Hayward of course. GO DUCKS!!!

9. Jan 8, 2008 #9 of 78
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Seeing I can't vote for the Buffalo crew, I'll give it to the Bruins crew with a close 2nd for the Ducks TV guys. All 3 are great.

The worst are the Philly guys. HOMERS....

10. ElVee

ElVee Legend

Nov 27, 2006
    Mike Emerick is probably one of the best.

Being an Islanders (and Mets) fan, I'll have to say Howie Rose (also does the Mets games). I know Howie was/is a Rangers fan, but he really keeps it fair.

11. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I have to agree with you on the Philly guys... the worst:nono2:

I've always liked Mike Emerick and since I seem to always end up watching the Bruins games I'd have to go with them also.

12. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Gary Thorne.

13. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    i don't know the guy's name who does the play-by-play in buffalo, but when the sabre's score a goal, he's like a mexican soccer announcer. gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that guy rules. and i think brian hayward for the ducks is the best color guy.

doc emmerich is really good, too.

14. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    Jim Hughson of Hockey Night in Canada is amazing. Bob Cole, also of HNIC, is very good as well.

I like Mike Emrick, although he fawns over Martin Brodeur way too much. Chris Cuthbert of TSN, Bob Miller of the Kings, Jack Edwards of the Bruins, Rich Jeanneret (sp?) of the Sabres, the guy who does the Stars PxP (Strangis?), John Kelly of the Avs, and Howie Rose back in the "Matteau Matteau" days are also my favorites.

I used to like Mike Lange of the Penguins, Pat Foley of the Blackhawks, and Ken Wilson of the Blues, but I don't hear them anymore. I think Lange and Foley are doing radio now, I have no idea what happened to Wilson, but I loved his enthusiasm! I liked Gary Thorne too.

The only guys I really don't like are the Caps announcers, Beninati and Laughlin. Something about their voices together is irritating. When Beninati is on Versus away from Laughlin he doesn't bother me as much for some reason.

On the analyst side the HNIC guys are, of course, excellent. I also like Brian Hayward of the Ducks, Drew Remenda of the Sharks, Bernie Federko of the Blues, and Darryl Reaugh of the Stars.

I don't enjoy Terry Crisp of the Predators, he is just too colloquial for me. I also don't like Mickey Redmond of the Wings, he doesn't add much to the telecast. And, of course, Potvin s****!

I go back and forth on Joe Micheletti of the Rangers. He picks up a lot of things on the ice, and is very good at analyzing the game and picking up trends and momentum shifts. But he drives me nuts in going on and on about how good the team is that's beating the Rangers at the time.

Case in point, Saturday night in Edmonton. Because Edmonton had a one goal lead a lot of the game Micheletti somehow feels compelled to tell us how amazing the Oilers are, how quick they are, how physical they are, how well they go to the net, yada yada yada. Hey Joe, if the Oilers are that good, HOW COME THEY CAN'T BEAT ANYONE BUT THE RANGERS!?!?!?!?

They're really not that good, part of the problem was that the Rangers were playing like crap! Say it already. Jeesh.

Rant over.

15. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I must be the only one here who's not a big Mike Emrick fan! I don't think he's horrible and I wouldn't turn off the sound when he's on, but, for whatever reason, I just don't like him!

Beninati is THE WORST. When he's on Versus, I will turn off the sound!

I agree with all the Gary THorne votes - he's right up there among the best and I do miss him. I always liked Bill Clement as well.

I know we're not voting for our own broadcasters, but I do LOVE Drew Remenda and Randy Hahn! I love that they're homers (which, personally, I think a teams announcers should have sort of a vested interest in the team, after all, they are team employees, and their fortunes go as the teams fortunes go, to a large extent!). However, despite their "homerness", they don't have a problem (either of them), pointing out a Sharks mistake, or when the Sharks are playing poorly. And if someone on the other team makes a brilliant play, they can sit there and say "The Sharks did everything right, and that guy just beat them - that was pretty!".

I've always liked that about our guys, in contrast to guys like Joe Micheletti, where if you get scored on it's because that player just made the best play in the history of hockey! Sometimes the guys on the ice make mistakes that lead to goals. Admit it, don't try to sell me on George Parros being the greatest skater ever to lace them up because he scored a goal.

16. joebbaseball

joebbaseball Legend

Aug 25, 2005
    As a fan of the Canucks, and West Coast Hockey in general, I must admit though, I watched the Sabres a few x's when we got MSG in HD, and those two guys seem to hands down the best I've heard in a while.
    Joe

17. webhype

webhype AllStar

Dec 28, 2007
    Raleigh/Durh...
    The Rick Jenrett guy in Buffalo, the must annoying play by play man in sports.

18. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Another Gary Thorne supporter here. I remember the call during a playoff game in Pittsburgh when it was thought that Mario was at home for the last time, "Here he comes! Here he comes! Hold on! SCORE!! Ya gotta love it!"

Mike Lange is still doing Pens games on the radio. XM FTW. :)

19. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    His name is Rick Jeanneret and he definitely is one of the best. I think he's so good because he's also simulcast on the radio so that's why he literally does the play by play in such detail. I didn't mention him since we weren't supposed to list our home team announcer.

20. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Hands down the best right now is Jim Hughson of the Canucks/CBC.
    I love Rick Jeanneret's enthusiasm on the Sabres too!

Pat Foley should be doing the Blackhawks telecasts but he's doing the Chicago Wolves in the AHL right now. When he get's back here,(he will) he is the best! Ok a little biased on that one!

Mike Emrick is ok,sometimes makes it seem more exciting than it actually is,i.e.,BIG SAVE BRODEUR!,when it's a shot from the red line.:rolleyes:

Bob Cole is good too for CBC,Bob Miller for LA,Dave Strader in PHX. Color Guys,maybe Pang in PHX,Harry Neale in BUFF/CBC,Chico Resch in NJ,Drew in SJ.

The two worst tandem is the Chicago crew Danny Kelly:grin: and Eddie "Stop it right there!" Olczyk and the guys from Columbus, Jeff Rimer and Danny Gare.