1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best OTA indoor aerial.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SeaBeagle, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    What is the best indoor aerial to purchase to use with the DISH OTA module. I hooked any of my free coaxial cables hoping to scan n channels. None scanned in. I saw on the bottom of the screen the words Not Locked in the bottom left of the screen and he right bottom there s Signal Strength 0. No matter which coaxial wire I hooked up those two items never changed.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    There is no one size fits all answer when it comes to antennas, it's even more complicated for indoor antenns. There are way too many variables, your distance from the towers, if any of your locals broadcast in VHF, the terrain, any obstructions, where you intend to place the antenna, any electrical equipment between the antenna and the exterior walls that face the towers, your siding material, your roofing material, how many stories up, etc.

Go to a site like TVFool.com and input your exact address since the results you get can be very different from your next door neighboor so just providing a zip code or city won't be enough. If the bulk of your channels are listed as green you shouldn't have that much trouble. If they're yellow it will take some work with an amplified antenna and keeping it high on a shelf. You also need to pay attention to see if any of your locals are in the VHF band, unfortunately there's a lot of UHF only antennas being marketed as "HDTV Antennas", despite it being known that after the transition that nearly every market will have at least one station in the VHF band. If any of your locals are in the VHF band you would need a VHF/UHF combo antenna.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I love it when newbies ask this question ...

#1 - There is no such thing as a "best indoor OTA antenna" for all situations. Heck - an indoor antenna at my house will get you exactly - ZERO - broadcast stations, even though I'm only about 25 miles from most of my stations. House construction and location make a HUGE difference.

#2 - You can't even make that question about "best outdoor OTA antenna" - see #1...

#3 - and then he just has to spread it among multiple forums on a single site.. Once per website is enough - we WILL read it .

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Three other duplicate threads were deleted. Please don't start multiple threads with the exact same topic and content.

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Not that important. I searched for the same item of the best indoor aerial and did not see any results. I promise not to ask anymore. I will read from now on. If there is no results for a search then I will conclude the information is not nesessary. Sorry.

6. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    Buy one from a store with a good return policy. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, return it and get something else. Trial and error may be the best way to find what works for you.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    good advise in the post#6; I did find same idea many many years ago ... you know, it's work ! :)

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I carry a 4 foot piece of coax in the truck and it has the last foot stripped of insulation and ground shield.

If that works adequately in a given location I just leave it. If it doesn't work at all, I assume no indoor antenna is going to be of much help.

I've also noted most people don't care for an indoor OTA if it is any where they can see it.

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    When I replaced the last VHF/UHF antenna , I kept the UHF Yagi part and it is about 3-4 feet long. In a pinch, I can use that in the house laying on a chair. It will even get the weakest UHF translator. I have had the winds tear up the yagis here, so I do have a backup.

10. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    The nearest store like WAL*MART is like 14 miles away long commute. I would have purchased an aerial by now if the distance was not that far.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you're 14 miles from Walmart - you probably need an outdoor antenna.

Check your address at www.tvfool.com for what your reception situation is.

12. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The best indoor antenna is a small outdoor antenna used indoors.

13. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    That is what my thought is. Something simple to set up. I could put that behind my TV which will be a great hiding place. Do these have a coaxial wire hookup as which is the connection to the DISH OTA device?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    some have, some not, then find a balun [300->75 Ohm transformer]

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Behind the TV is probably the WORST place to put an indoor antenna.

Unfortunately, for esthetics, it needs to be up near the ceiling out in the open - just think of it as abstract art.

If your stations are all UHF, something like a Silver Sensor is not too ugly, but may be hard to find these days, but if you have VHF stations, nothing that is "pretty" will likely be very good at capturing them since their wave length can be up to 32 inches for channel 7.

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    (just waiting for someone to mention a Sterba curtain, :eek2: )

17. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Heading out Wednesday spot see what I can find.

18. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Look into the Mohu Leaf. I was very impressed with the results I got with mine, but ultimately, it wasn't good enough and I had to go with an outdoor antenna.

19. l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie Cool Member

May 8, 2010
    Also the Mohu Sky HD which can be used indoors or outdoors with the latter giving the best results, but either configuration beats any alternatives that I have tried similarly configured. The down side side is that the "Sky" is pricey at $100 plus.

20. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I use a "Silver Sensor". With any indoor antenna your best results come if you place the antenna near a window (without any metal screens) facing in the direction of the desired stations. However that is not always possible. In my case the Silver Sensor is aimed in the direction of the weakest, most distant station (57 miles). I get this station due to two factors; 1.) the transmitter is on a high point and the signal is predicted to cover my area despite the distance. and 2.) I'm on very high ground in relation to the average terrain.

The rest of my OTA stations are close, very close (I'm 1 mile south of the antenna farm) so off-axis reception works here (I would not recommend it at greater distances).

I put the antenna on top of boxes to raise it to near my ceiling. Without the boxes I lose the distant station. I used to have an outdoor antenna but my chimney needed to be rebuilt and I have not put it back up.