1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best Premium Channel Package? Opinions Please.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Hooterville, Oct 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hooterville

Hooterville AllStar

Jul 11, 2010
    What is the best premium channel package on DirecTV?

Had HBO/Cinemax but got rid of it after the Sopranos was canceled.

Had Showtime for 3 months and it did not do much for me.

What is everyone's favorite premium channel package on DirecTV?

Opinions please.

2. MaxFan

MaxFan Mentor

Jul 28, 2009
    HBO is the only one I will keep. Tried them all. Starz repeats more movies than any other service in my opinion. HBO has HBO Family East and West and shows better movies too me.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    With Choice Ultimate you get TMC, and all the Encore channels included with the package. Good for an occasional movie. IMHO, Netflix is the only way to go for movies. Instant movies via internet or 1 day via mailbox for less than a single premium package on DirecTv.

4. MaxFan

MaxFan Mentor

Jul 28, 2009
    I disagree about Netflix. I can DVR a movie on HBO and watch as many times I want. No messing with mailing anything.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If the studio has an agreement with HBO. Several studios are either starting their own channel, or not available from the "premiums". Guess it all depends what movies you want to watch, and where they are available.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Not everyone has a "favorite premium channel." :nono2:

I've signed up for HBO for the next three months mainly to get Boardwalk Empire, but I'll drop them when the series ends. I've tried Starz and Showtime but there are too few movies there that I really want to watch.

7. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I never subscribed to movie channels but when i ask for free i always ask for Showtime.

8. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I like Starz due to the number of channels in it, many in HD and the movie selection they've had.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    None. Save your $40+ bucks a month and get Netflix instead. You'll save over $30 a month and heck, you can *buy* a couple Blurays a month with the savings if you really want to. :)

10. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Premiere.

11. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I have all but Cinemax. Only series I watch on HBO is "Empire", but need Showtime for Dexter and Weeds. I'll cancel individually when they cease to fulfill me. Tried to drop Sports Pack and HBO last month, but D* basically gave them to me for free for 6 months, so I kept them. Bought a Roku HD last week to compliment my Wii, $8.99 Netflix with tons of streaming. I don't know how you beat that when you think of all the content sitting there waiting for you. I enjoy lots of old stuff - Columbo, Perry Mason, & finally going to try Northern Exposure, just to check out Janine Turner and Sherilynn Fenn. Maybe I'll even like the show.

12. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I'd have to go with Showtime. It has the most HD channels (10), compared to 8 with Starz, 4 with HBO, and 2 with Cinemax. Also everything on Showtime is in OAR. Also all Showtime package channels have VOD (as does Starz), HBO and Cinemax don't.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The SPORTS PACK. It has far and away the most channels and the best chance of channels being added this year.

14. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    You mean the blackout pack? :lol:

I think he means just movie packages anyway.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1 with HD Extra Pack.

16. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I've had a Roku and Netflix for awhile. I got started on Dexter with the first two seasons on instant, then got the discs for season's 3 & 4. I have Premiere for five months as part of my sign-up package so that will get me through season 5. I'll probably dump 'em all and go back to relying on Netflix (still have two seasons of The Wire to watch).

17. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Ummm... The Sopranos was not canceled. The show ended. HBO would have loved it to continue, but the producer had gone as far as the story would go.

I have Premier and have had it for some time now. I find I use the premium channels quite a bit between me and the other two sets of eyes in the house. I do like HBO and Showtime though, and even Starz. So it is hard to really pin down a good setup. I guess it all depends on what you watch and how much to determine what is worth subscribing to.

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'll have to agree with Premier and the HD Xtra pack.

The 40 HD movies I watch each month would be a real pain to handle through the mail.

19. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    To be honest, I've had Premier Pack now for about a year.

Cinemax and Starz Superpack are my favorite for Movies.
    But lately , there isn't anything worth bragging about.

I would pick 1 Movie pack, Keep it for 30 days and then just try another. Or go on HBO.com,Cinemax.com,Starz/Encore.com,Showtime /TMC .com and Look at what is on this month.
    That should help you decide!

20. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, Sports pack is good for College, and Pro Sports if You have a Seasonal sports pack.

Other then that, Outdoor,Fox Soccer,and Gol tv are about the only channels worth anything.