1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best setup for a HR24 and a 2TB External??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lorick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lorick

lorick AllStar

Nov 16, 2005
    What is the best "bang for the buck" external drive for the HR24 DVR?

2. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The particulars from Amazon:

Western Digital 2 TB AV-GP SATA Intellipower 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive WD20EVDS ($141.99)

Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station ($36.77)

Several of us (at least 5, perhaps 10) are using this setup and it has a few advantages:

1. It works.

2. Setting it up is idiot proof.

3. The price is reasonable

4. Noise is almost non-existent.

5. It (drive) is designed for DVR service.

3. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    I see Newegg has the WD20EVDS for $129.99.
    I have been using the more expensive Antec MX-1 enclosures $49.99.
    I have four of these combinations.
    Good Luck!!

4. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a good price for the drive. The EVDS is the one to get. I had(still have them but doing nothing) my prior drive in an MX-1 exclosure but after a while the fan got a bit noisy. At first it was silent but as time went by the fan got noisy.

That's why I like the docking station instead(I have 2 DVR's with externals and both are using docking stations). It's open aired, so cooling isn't an issue and no fan to worry about. The only noise you hear is the drive itself.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Isn't dust an issue with the open docking station?

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not at all, so far. Open up an MX-1 after it's been running for a few months and take a look at the dust that's inside that.

I just opened up a Seagate Xtreme the other day. Not easy to do, but I got the HDD out and put in an MX-1 that's been laying around for a while. Had to get my son's bottle of compressed air to blow out the MX-1. While the fan in the MX-1 cools very efficiently, it also sucks up dust like a vacuum cleaner.

Oh, I did save the HDD, it works fine now.

Rich

7. BSAMAINE

BSAMAINE New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Is the docking station you mentioned a: Antec EASYSATA SATA HDD Docking Station Hard Drive Accessory for about $19.00?

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here's a link for the Thermaltake docking station that Hasan and I use. And the link for the WD 2TB EVDS HDD.

You can get these at lower prices on other websites. Just consider that Amazon has no restocking fees (if there is a compatibility problem or the items are faulty) and you can get "free" shipping by paying the Prime Shipping fee of $79 a year. That's for two day shipping.

All the things Hasan listed on his post are correct. So simple to install. You don't need tools and the operation is silent.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The shipping for the EVDS runs the price up to $138 at NewEgg. The price today on Amazon is $141. If you don't have to pay for shipping on Amazon, I'd buy it from Amazon. No hassle shopping or returns.

You can also get the WD EADS 2TB HDDs on Tiger and CC for $109. I have two of them in 20-700s and, so far, they work as well as the EVDS HDDs.

Rich

10. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, it's the same Thermaltake one Rich linked in his post above. Although, one of mine is actually the dual one, since when I bought my first one, it was on sale for the same price as the single one. So I bought the dual. And before you ask,no, you cannot put 2 drives in there for the DVR. :)

11. BSAMAINE

BSAMAINE New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Okey Dokey...I've ordered the: Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive and the: Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5” & 3.5” USB 2.0 & eSATA....from NewEgg. I'll post the info on how well it works next week, when it shows up. By the way, I have a HR24-500 with 0x40d and it has worked flawlessly since the August install by DTV. I'm driving it through my SONY Bravia AV and HDTV systems with no Bravia problems so far.

12. jayman9207

jayman9207 Mentor

Sep 14, 2010
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Interesting. Wonder if it will work? If it does, buying two 2TB WD EADS at Tiger or CC for $109 each would get you a mirrored 2TB RAID setup for just a bit more than $300. Not bad.

Rich

14. yobear

yobear Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I decided to go with the WD20EVDS and internal enclosure (a little more child proof)...approximately how many hours of HD will I be able to store?

15. yobear

yobear Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    ^disregard the above...unless my math is wrong, I'm thinking about 330 hours.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nah, depending on the content, you should get between 400 and 500 hours.

Rich

17. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I just set up a 2x2TB Esata RAID 1 box on my "main" HR21.

I used a RAIDON GR3630-2S-SB2+ 2-drive RAID enclosure that I got from Newegg. Put in two Hitachi 2TB drives that I got on sale at Fry's for $105. Since these drives were exactly the same size as my existing 2TB external, I just did a bit-copy from the old one to the new RAID box, after doing the usual graceful shutdown and power-plug-pull of the HR21.

(Although the copy took 6.5 hours, it worked fine. I actually used an external hardware disk-cloning tool (Disk Jockey Pro) that I happen to have. It could also be done on a PC. Since I was doing a bit-for-bit copy, there was no need to condition/partition the new drives first by connecting them to the HR21.)

No changes were needed on the RAIDON box, it comes set to RAID1 by default.

After the copy, I plugged the new box into the HR21, turned on the RAID, let it finish coming up, plugged in the HR21, it came up fine, and everything seems to work well.

I have not yet worked up the courage to yank one of the drives out while powered, although that is supposed to not result in failure, since hot-swap is supported.

Although it cost more ($170) than some others, this RAIDON box is very well made and looks nice. The only complaint I have is that the blue front panel backlight is rather bright, since this is in a bedroom. The box has a fan but it is very quiet. A cheaper alternative hardware-RAID box that also works is the Sans Digital MS2UTN+, which I have seen on sale for as low as $69.

A setup like this (or any external Esata) really must be on a UPS. If power is lost to both the HR and RAID box, then comes back on, it is almost certain that the RAID box will not have sufficient time to boot up, and thus will not be recognized by the DVR. This could result in lost scheduled recordings if no one is there to manually reboot the HR again.

Keith

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The Best Setup is with an Internal 2 TB Drive and be done with it and not have noise or something else to contend with connected to your DVR which may not reboot up properly and then may use the Internal Drive because the eSATA Controller is too slow to recognize the DVR and vice versa.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Glad to see someone finally answered. Thanx.

I wouldn't do that. I think the "hot swap" feature is for computers only. Not positive and I'd like to know if that's true, but I wouldn't ask you to do it as you might wipe out the whole thing. But, if you have to know, we'd also like to know. If you do it, please post or PM me and I'll take it from there. If you have doubts, go with your gut and don't do it, I wouldn't.

The bright LED problem is easily solved with either a light piece of tape or a piece of Scott's 88 electrical tape which will black out the LED.

Keeping the RAID setup on a UPS is definitely the right thing to do. Just make sure if the power goes out you power down both the HR and the RAID unit. Leaving them on will quickly deplete the battery back up.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree, but he might only have the one HR. I hope he knows that if he loses the HR, he loses all that programming. Too much money for the RAID and it's cheaper in the long run and more reliable to use multiple HRs to back up all recordings. I think.

Rich