1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best setup for HDMI & Optical Cable ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by s2hotty, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 4, 2008 #1 of 17
    s2hotty

s2hotty Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Setup Question -

Current setup - HR20-700 hooked up via a HDMI cable direct to my Vizio Plasma for video and optical cable direct to my Sony Receiver for Audio.

Question: Is the above the best way for my setup or should I run the HDMI from HR20-700 for both Video & Audio and than run optical cable for Audio from Vizio Plasma to my stereo for sound ???

:)

2. Jan 4, 2008 #2 of 17
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    thats how mine has been from day one..

3. Jan 4, 2008 #3 of 17
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005

This is how I have both of mine setup as well.
    I'm not an audiophile, but I'm not sure why you would want to do it the other or waht the advantage is.

4. Jan 4, 2008 #4 of 17
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    So this setup works? I haven't tried it since I'd have to buy a 8'-10' HDMI cable. I thought I'd read some place that this might lead to a sync problem so glad to hear, I hope, that it doesn't. Of course the other problem is that I use my HTR as the source selector, running DVD and HR20 through it rather than changing the source on the TV. HTR is relatively new but old enough (2 years?) that it didn't come with HDMI input/output so I'm running component for everything right now. Picture quality is darn good but could it be better with HDMI?

5. Jan 4, 2008 #5 of 17
    Bugg77

Bugg77 AllStar

Jun 26, 2007
    I have an older AVR with no HDMI and I run HDMI from HR20 to Sony LCD. I then run digital coax from HR20 to AVR. No problems for me.

randy, there shouldn't be any problem with using your AVR as a source selector, it will require you to change your tv source to HDMI when you want to watch the HR20

6. Jan 4, 2008 #6 of 17
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Bugg - Thanks neighbor. Since I upgraded my wife's crafts room TV to the Samsung she's gotten used to the idea of changing sources at the TV as I don't run the inputs there through an HTR. She really likes using the HTR receiver in the theater to change sources....fewer remotes though it still takes 3-4 to fully use the system.

7. Jan 4, 2008 #7 of 17
    sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    HR2x outputs a max resolution of 1080i, which component will carry. You don't need to buy HDMI cable unless you have a BluRay or HD DVD player that outputs 1080p. I use component for my HR21 to my Panny 50" 1080p and the PQ is outstanding.

The main reason for using HDMI from the HR2x is to get digital sound to the TV speakers.

8. Jan 4, 2008 #8 of 17
    mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    I'd rather run a cheap HDMI cable then have to spend more money on quality component cables if I have the option (that is one advantage of HDMI being digital, no need for high dollar cables on shorter runs). Of course the best thing to do is try both and use what looks best to you.

Component is more then capable of carrying 1080p also, problem with HD-DVD players is they will output 1080i/p over component depending on the player, they won't upconvert SD DVD's over component though. Can't comment on Blu-Ray. That would be my bigger reason for using HDMI over component with an HD-DVD player.

9. Jan 4, 2008 #9 of 17
    yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Mentor

Dec 28, 2007
    There are some sound formats which can only be carried through the bandwidth offered by HDMI. This, and the ability to perform video switching, is why home theater receivers come with HDMI sources these days. I do not believe that any of the audio formats requiring HDMI is offered with Satellite so it should not matter which way you go.

Personally, I have my system hooked up according your current method. I would rather not have my receiver powered up just to pass through a video/audio signal and there is no benefit to using the theater sound for most programing. But that is just my preference. The only time I really crank up the theater sound is when watching a DVD or Blu Ray.

10. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    HDMI to Television.

Optical to AV Receiver.

I see no reason to have the television on to listen to Bluegrass Junction or Willie's Place.

If I had an HR21 I might consider optical from the television, maybe...for some reason.

11. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    That would be an additional cable for some reason. :)

TV won't pass through DD from the HDMI feed to the optical out.

12. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    That right.....I learned that over a year ago and couldn't remember why I changed to my current config.

13. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    The tuner might, ..if there was a reason to use it.:)

14. Bugg77

Bugg77 AllStar

Jun 26, 2007
    Randy,

One way to get around this is to purchase a Harmony remote. I've got the Harmony 880 and I love the way it handles all my equipment. You don't have to change each device individually, the remote changes them all for you. It uses an Activity based concept and some decent software to understand what you are doing.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Harmonys... I'm over on that forum too.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's just fine to run 2 cables, that's how I do it.

16. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    Sorry to disagree, but I must. HDMI cables are more expensive than component cables. Only HDMI carries 1080p. If you need to verify this, check out the AVS forums.

17. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Component is more then capable of carrying 1080p, the bigger issue is the lack of devices that can output it and/or TV's can accept it via component. 1080p doesn't automatically equal HDMI, it depends on the equipment being used.

Now for HDMI cables costing more, you are still wrong.

HDMI being digital doesn't require high dollar cables to transmit over shorter distances. If you go over to avsforum, you'll see one of their sponsors, monoprice.com, is highly recommended for HDMI cables (and pretty much any other kind of cable you might need for that matter). The 10 foot HDMI cable I purchased from them last month cost me less then ten bucks with shipping and it works perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.