1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get a deal on MRV/receiver upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wv_patsfan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan Cool Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Long time reader, first time poster, blah blah...:)

I currently have 2 HR22-100s and a standard receiver. Just upgraded the 3rd TV to HD and I'm now interested in getting MRV in addition to a new HD receiver or DVR. My original 2 year commitment just expired last month so I should have a bit of leverage. What should be my strategy to get a good deal here...should I just try to go straight to retention by saying "cancel," or should I just be more upfront about what I want and not threaten to cancel? Hoping to at least get free installation or a free receiver upgrade...what are my chances?

Thanks!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Wont know until you call. Try the CSR first, if you dont like the deal, just decline, and call again tomorrow. If you still dont like the deal, try retention, but be prepared to actually cancel if they call your bluff.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can pretty safely talk to retention without risk if you only say cancel to the automated system. Don't tell the rep you're willing to cancel unless you are like has been said.

I have only used that route once, I usually just to through the normal CSRs.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    After you call, post your offer/results here. We'll be more than happy to provide our opinions on it. :D

:welcome_s

5. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Set a goal on what you feel is fair and realistic for you and call them often and every day. I my self never threaten to cancel, if i did i probably wouldn't be here tipping this right rite now.

Bottom line is your time with them and your payment history.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Please clarify: do you want to upgrade the SD to a MRV-compatible unit AND add another HD receiver/DVR or just change the SD to an HD unit?

Don't forget to get the Cinema Connection Kit.

Your "list" costs:
    MRV upgrade - $199 (should include swapping out your SD unit to a MRV compatible unit)
    Install - $49.99
    "new" HD receiver - $99
    "new" HD DVR - $199
    2-year commitment

Good luck.

7. csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011 AllStar

Aug 10, 2011
    +1.
    Always remain pretty courteous and we will do what we can on the "other end"! Supervisors also have alot of lee-way as into ho wmuch credit they can apply. If you are not satisfied with the front line answer, ask for the sup, nicely. Usually they can cut alot of price without going to retention :)

8. wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan Cool Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I let this sit for a little while, but I just called and got a pretty good deal. Getting a new HDDVR for $200, but I also got free install of the DVR, free install of MRV/internet kit, and best of all free Sunday Ticket! Tried to get a little more but that was all I could get. Thanks for the help everyone! :D

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sounds like a pretty good deal and you're obviously excited about the Sunday Ticket. Many here have tried to get ST; but not all successful. Hope you like it when you get it installed and lets hope your installer has an HR24 on his truck when he shows up.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's a dog eat dog world.

Find out what the cable company will give and then haggle with the DirecTV Retention Center with this knowledge in order to get the best deal.

And make sure you get a confirmation email that list ALL the details.

11. wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan Cool Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Never did get the confirmation email even though I specifically asked the rep. However, the order is correct on the My Account section of the website, including the free ST, so I should be good.