1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get a new HD DVR (not a new customer)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VetteVert, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1 of 35
    VetteVert

VetteVert Cool Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Looking to get an HD DVR for my father-in-law as a Bday present. He currently has a new 1080p TV, with SD programming through DirecTV. I know he will have to pay the monthly charges, but would like to get him an HR2X.

What would be best? Calling DirecTV themselves? Buy the DVR from a retailer? Would DirecTV offer me any type of deal?

Won't have time to call around until later, and I'm hoping I'll know which direction to go by then :)

Thanks!

VV

2. Oct 7, 2008 #2 of 35
    sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007

Best thing is to call and see what they can do for you. You don't know until you try!

3. Oct 7, 2008 #3 of 35
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Best bet if this were me would be to pick one up at a local retailer and then have dad go for some credits on his account after you give it to him if he's eligible for some... full well knowing that it could extend his commitment. Then he could either give you the difference or (if it were me) would help offset some of his bill for the first few months.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #4 of 35
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    But he won't be able to access dad's account without dad authorizing it, which would ruin the surprise.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #5 of 35
    sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Good point! I guess I didn't think about that.

Nevermind my answer then. :)

6. Oct 7, 2008 #6 of 35
    VetteVert

VetteVert Cool Member

Sep 11, 2006
    I'm not familiar with these credits. He could ask for credits since he (me) purchased the receiver?

Thanks for all the help!

7. Oct 7, 2008 #7 of 35
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Yes, sorry about that...

If you (or your dad in this case) is a long-time customer with good payment history, etc, then he may be eligible for a free upgrade to the HD DVR. In your case you can't call and ask them this before the fact, so my recommendation is that you go buy it and ask later if he's eligible for the freebie, which would be accomplished by them issuing a credit to the account. They may or may not give it, depending on the history on the account. Just be sure to go into the phone call without the expectation that it will happen and you may just get it.

Again, it will probably require a contract extension, but if he's happy with DirecTV this shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps to clarify.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #8 of 35
    Axl Rhoads

Axl Rhoads Cool Member

Oct 7, 2008
    It probably wouldn't be the best b-day gift knowing that these boxes are crap. If you really want him to not disown you, get him service with DISH or TWC.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 35
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    :nono2:

10. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    These boxes are far from crap.... I have 3 that I am very happy with, and will be replacing my final TIVO unit very soon.

11. Axl Rhoads

Axl Rhoads Cool Member

Oct 7, 2008

How much is DTV paying you to say that?

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Plenty of us are extremely happy. Most polls that come up sit around 80% of us that are happy.

The happy people do not go around screaming how happy they are everywhere...but the haters and upset people do, so there is always a bias towards the people who are having problems.

My HR21 has had one blank recording since Feb. when I got it, not bad at all IMO and I love my HR21.

Have you tried some cable boxes lately? Those things are HORRIBLE. Even searching the guide can be an adventure. So before you crap and troll on the HR2x, try some of the competition and realize that just because some are having issues, not nearly all of us are.

13. Axl Rhoads

Axl Rhoads Cool Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I had a DirecTIVO for about 3 years....NOT ONE PROBLEM. Loved it. Now I have to pay an additional $9.99 for a service that craps out and destroys all of the content I have on my hard drive. Not to mention spending $159 for Center Ice so I have the luxury to watch my team when I want. But the irony of that is, can I?

Call me what you want, but I was just looking for a message board that could enlighten me on some of these issues.....holy crap, there sure are a lot of unhappy customers! LOL

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Please don't feed the troll.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    While you may be having less than stellar success, there are many here that enjoy both the service and the receiver. I'm sure VetteVert thought his Birthday Gift idea through before asking questions here ..

16. Cmnore

Cmnore Godfather

Sep 22, 2008
    X2:ramblinon

17. VetteVert

VetteVert Cool Member

Sep 11, 2006
    I have an HR20 myself, and am quite satisfied with it. Thanks to all who answered my question. He has been with DTV for a LONG time with nothing but the original sat receivers. He may qualify for a freebie. I may get his wife (this is my father-in-law, not father) to call and check for me. If so, I could just pay the differece for some period of time.

Thanks again

18. Axl Rhoads

Axl Rhoads Cool Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Wow, you guys sure are sensitive over a DVR. If you're having such great luck with it, seriously, why are you even reading these threads? Maybe I'm blind, but it looks like most of them are dedicated to issues/problems with the boxes...no?

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Nope, not sensitive at all, but to come into a thread where someone is looking for advice about how to purchase something and then slam it out of left field is wholly uncalled-for. If you don't like the HR20 start your own thread, don't crap on someone else's for no reason.

20. Axl Rhoads

Axl Rhoads Cool Member

Oct 7, 2008
    But that is the advice I would offer someone who is looking into a DirecTV DVR. I would strongly suggest they don't buy one. And if they are going to get one anyways, they certainly better not PAY for it. I held on to my DirecTIVO for as long as I possibly could because I knew I was going to have problems. You know what, I was right.