1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get HD locals and HBO - and nothing else!?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by hifiaudio2, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    If I BUY the 622VIP off Ebay or another reseller, can I just get the HD locals package (I live in Nashville) and HBO only and not pay anything for the other packages? OTA HD could be in addition too...

My understanding is that if I lease that receiver from them, I HAVE to buy at least a basic package that is probably $60 + minimum per month.

Am I correct?

2. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I own my 622, and I subscribe only to the old HD Pack + Voom, and locals.

However, it will cost you a lot to do it....

Here is the breakdown of what it will cost you if you have only one receiver, receiving just the HD Locals....

$6/mo "access fee"
    $6/mo DVR Fee
    $6/mo Local channels
    $6/mo HD Enabling Fee
    $5/mo dual outlet fee (Waived if you connect a phone line)
    $15/mo HBO HD

I have heard some say that you can't get the MPEG-4 HD satellite locals unless you subscribe to a metallic package. That better not be true. With this setup, you can get OTA HD locals, and I *hope* MPEG-4 HD satellite locals.

The HD LIL is not available yet in San Francisco, so, I don't know the answer to that part.

3. hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Wow thats a lot of nickel and diming...

Whats the deal with an "Access fee" and "hd enabling fee"?

Are any of those fees waived if you lease the dish?

4. hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I called Dish just now and ran down these options. The CSR said that you cannot buy any service without at least buying the $19.99 Family package....

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    The $19.99 DishFAMILY is the minimum package you can get and LEASE a receiver and dish. The CSR assumed you didn't own DISH equipment.

The "$6/mo access fee" is what someone that OWNS their equipment has to pay when they don't subscribe to the minimum package.

The $6 HD Enable is what you pay (own/lease) if you don't subscribe to the minimum HD package and have an MPEG4 HD receiver.

The HBO package increased a buck to $15 on 1Feb.

6. hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I will just have to get a different CSR. We went specifically over me owning the 622 and he said I still would have to buy a package.....

I will try again ...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The access fee goes away if you subscribe to a base package (DishFamily, a AT package, a DishHD package, a DL package or the Great Wall packages).

The HD enabling fee goes away if you subscribe to a DishHD package.

8. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

Maybe you got the Indian call center or something. I don't even have the Family Package. I don't subscribe to any SD programming, with the exception of SD locals.
    I don't watch those locals, but they are really a fee like the "access fee". You have to subscribe to locals in order to get OTA guide data. They also forbid you from watching your OTA locals live on TV2. The 622 is rather useless without guide data, as it enables the functionality like name based recording. Call it "DVR Guide Data Fee". It was a decision made on purpose, starting with the 921 just about a year ago.

I edited the HBO fee to reflect the new cost in my previous post.

9. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

This is not competely true! I'm upset with dish right now because I am subscribing to the HD Pack + Voom, and they STILL are charging me that blasted "HD Enabling Fee"! It appears also that the stand Alone HD Pack doesn't qualify either. It appears that you have to subscribe to SD in addition to HD to get the fee waived. I hope dish gets the message soon that nickel and diming us like this is not going to go well for them in the long run.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    HD Pack does not equal DishHD.

DishHD are the "new metalic plans". The "enabling fee" is rolled into those.

11. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Which makes DishFAMILY the entry level English language tier. This is why I refer to DishFAMILY as America's Family Basic.

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    It would seem that if you just refer to it as the same thing DISH and everyone else refers to it as, there wouldn't be any confusion as to "WTF is AFB?"

13. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't see any confusion. I do see alot of off topic bickering over the channels on the America's Family Basic tier, but not confusion.

14. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    yeah, good luck with that! Somehow he has decided that he is now in charge of what the packages are called at Dish, well in his own little world anyway!

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Calling it the basic tier makes it sound like it is the lowest TIER of programming available. But "Dish Family" is NOT a tier. It is outside the tier system. It is a separate programming package that happens to have channels avaliable from several levels of the tier system and one channel that is not available any other way (except SkyAngel).

The confusion comes when you continually call something a tier that is not a tier - and then start a thread (elsewhere) trying to turn Dish Family into a tier.

There is no such thing as "America's Family Basic tier" - no matter how much wishful thinking you express on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.