1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get HR24 box?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mastrauckas, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Direct TV wants to upgrade my box in one of my bedrooms from a SD box to a HD DVR box to extend my contract. Currently the tv is a SD but in the next month or two I'll be upgrading it to HD(which is the reason I'm getting an HD DVR and not a SD DVR).

So what is the best way to get the newest box(I believe the newest one is HR24?) and not an older box? When he calls in the morning should I just ask him if he has a HR24 and if he doesn't reschedule the install?

Also replacing a SD with a HD receiver, is that just a replacing the receiver or does he have to run wire too(I currently have two HD DVRs in my house and i'm not sure if that matters.)?

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The last two times I had a DVR replaced the installers had all HR24s in their truck and nothing else.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There's no guarantee of what you'll get. If you keep canceling installs, in my opinion you'll hurt yourself as much as anyone else.

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  5. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Ok, if I order from there wouldn't I have to purchase it? Not sure I want to do that when Direct TV is giving it to me for free.

6. Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr AllStar

Apr 4, 2007
    I just upgraded from an H20 to a HR24 about 3 weeks ago. The installer told me that his shop only installs HR24s now. He did mention that the HR34 was around the corner, but at that time they were only installing HR24s. He stated that it was a DirecTV policy to now only install HR24s from here on out, at least for DVRs.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You may be able to get a credit from them if you get your own box. Even if you get it from a seller, you do not own it. It is still a lease.

8. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    I know, which is why I would never buy it.

9. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for the information!

10. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    You're getting the HR24 free or a HD DVR free? If you get it from SS, it will still be a leased unit not an owned one. Directv might offer credits to offset the cost if you obtain the unit yourself instead of getting it from them.

11. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    They're giving me a HD DVR for free. I'm hoping to get a HR24 HD DVR model and not an older one. I guess I'll just take my chance since it seems like they only really install HR24s now.

12. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Good luck. Report back and let us know how it works out.

13. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    No matter what DVR you wind up with, I think you will find TV much more pleasurable in HD.

14. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Yep, I will. I already have two HD DVR's:
    HR24-100 which is very fast and larger hard drive.
    HR21-100 which is very slow and smaller hard drive(I can record the same 1 hour program on the HR24 and HR21 and it will take 2% on my HR21 and 1% on my HR24.)

Which is why I want a HR24 because the HR21 takes forever to bring up the guid, change channels and other normal stuff.

15. pharmer53

pharmer53 Mentor

Jul 13, 2007
    Don't hold your breath on getting an HR-24 from Directv for free. I've upgraded two receivers in the past month, one as recent as last week, and both were HR-22s. I went the solidsignal route to get a HR-24 and a very nice CSR gave me a credit on my account. Just to clarify, the HR-22 receivers were shipped from Directv and not provided by an installer.

16. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    I'll let you guys know what I get. I'm not getting it until Monday.

17. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Almost a new member

Aug 18, 2006
    Doesn't it depend a lot on the dish that's already installed? An older dish + multiswitch vs. a newer dish with SWM.

I think the easiest way to tell is whether there's 1 cable going to each of your current HD DVR's vs. 2 cables.

If it's 1 cable, then you have an SWM. If it's 2, then you have the older system (and would either need to run a second cable to the new HD DVR location, get your dish replaced, or live with having only one tuner active).

In both cases, there's a limit on the total number of tuners you can have in your house. With the SWM, I believe it's 8 (you have 5 today and will move to 6 with the HD DVR upgrade), but you should confirm that with someone when you set up your install.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have 11 tuners with SWiM -- there is a SWiM8 for up to 8 tuners and a SWiM16 for up to 16.

19. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    just wanted to let everyone know that I received my H24 today. Pretty much he only had H24 receivers. It also pretty much a swap. He also adjusted the satellite just a bit. Anyway thanks for everyone's help.

20. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    I don't have SWiM and all 6 tuners seem to be working.