1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Reset HR21-700 With External ESATA Drive??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrozone, Mar 22, 2009.

1. mrozone

mrozone New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    I have been using an external 1 TB ESATA drive in the Antec MX-1 enclosure and I have had to reboot the HR21-700 DVR several times to "fix" problems.
    Tonight the Guide was stuck on date 7/14 (weird) with no program info. Have no idea how or why this happened.

I pressed in the Red Reset button for several seconds and after the HR21-700 came back up ALL of the recorded programs were gone (List is empty) and the DVR settings were ALL back to factory defaults. Rats@!!!
    Does the Red reset button always erase the recorded List content?? Did I hold down the reset button to long and thus got a complete reset or something??

What is the BEST way to reboot the DVR and NOT lose the recorded programs on the external ESATA drive??

I do have a UPS for both the ESATA external drive and the DVR. Is it best to power down the common UPS (powering down both ext drive & DVR at same time), and then turn UPS back ON to restart everything? Is this the way to NOT lose my recorded stuff and custom DVR setup info? Please help. Thanks!!!

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Something else is going on because rebooting doesn't erase drives. I have the same combo as you and have RBR'd it many times with no loss of programming.

The guide data issue was a known DirecTV problem last night. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154768 . That should not have erased your drive.

Try powering EVERYTHING DOWN. Then power up the MX1 then power up the DVR. Also make sure the eSata cables are tight. You may get everything back.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I never RBR unless the remote/menus are unavailable, which has been like twice in 2 1/2 years or so. Always use the menus. Unless something actually went wrong with your drive, TBlazer's advice will get you going again.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Was anything recorded on the internal drive before you hooked up the external? If there is nothing on that drive I'd bet when you rebooted the machine didn't see your eSATA and booted to the internal drive.

And you should ALWAYS reboot via the on screen menus and never the Red Button, unless the DVR is completely locked up.

5. fl panthers

fl panthers Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I have seen this no rbr many times and i don't do it but....why? and if it is so bad why is it the first thing a csr is directed to do instead of going through the menu?

6. mrozone

mrozone New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Thanks to all who have responded.
    The internal drive does have quite a bit of programming left on it, and I did not see that at all. It was definitely the external drive that came up empty, and the DVR at the factory defaults, when the RBR was pressed for several seconds to reboot.

I decided to press the RBR after observing the Guide at date 7/14 with no program data, thinking that it was my problem. So the Guide problem did not directly cause my reboot problem, it was the RBR that I did that caused this result. Funny thing is that I have done the RBR once before when the Guide and List were very slow in coming up, and no recorded shows were lost that time.

I will in the future ALWAYS use the On Screen Menus to reboot as this seems to be the prefered method as long as it is available.

Cables are tight. Using WD10EVCS, Antec MX-1, SIIG 2 Meter ESATA cable.
    Today, the hardware seems to be working fine. No sign of the lost recordings, just starting over now with the DVR setup and recordings.

Any further comments are very much appreciated.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Definitely use menu reset if the receiver is not locked up. RBR, like any hard reset, can cause corruption on the hard disk, which could lead to loss of recordings.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Would you restart your computer by just pulling the plug and plugging it back in? Of course you wouldn't, you'd do a proper shutdown. Well that's what a menu restart does. Closes processes nicely, closes files in use so they don't get truncated, shutsdown the hard drive, etc.

I'm not sure why CSR's tell you to do a RBR but I've corrected more than one by telling them that I'd rather do a menu reset and explaining why.

9. mrozone

mrozone New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    As an experiment I did the Menu based Restart twice, and the HR21-700 rebooted just fine each time with no loss of external hard drive recordings or DVR settings. Makes sense that an orderly shutdown is accomplished with the Menu based Restart, thus greatly reducing the risk of data loss on the external hard drive.

It does seem that I have had to Restart the DVR several times with the external hard drive (installed 2 weeks ago) to correct the slow Guide and List menu response times. Never had to Restart the DVR with the internal hard drive for any reason. Perhaps this is just a coincidence?

Thanks for the excellent advice! Much appreciated!

10. nazz

nazz Legend

May 4, 2006
    I just had the same thing happen except now it will not boot off of the external drive at all. The remote was acting sluggish so (apprently foolishly) I did a RBR. It came back up with recordings gone and I realized that it had booted from the internal drive. I have repeatedly powered everything down and then powered up the external drive first and then the DVR. I also checked the eSata connections. It just keeps booting from the internal no matter how many times I try. Any thoughts of help?

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    HIT select when it says its testing internal settings or something close to that as you reboot, and it will come up with a diagnostics menu. Set it to check the EXTERNAL drive file system. If it cant find the external drive, plug the drive into a computer and see if its working. If it is, you can go into admin and remove all the partitions on the drive (should be 3 I believe), until it has no partitions left on it, then plug it back into the dvr, and the dvr should reinitialize it from scratch. You will of course, lose all your programs and settings that were on it using the computer based method.

12. nazz

nazz Legend

May 4, 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply. I ran the diagnostics and the external drive passed. It just won't boot from it now for some odd reason. I may connect it to my PC and start over as you suggested but it sure is weird.