1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best way to stream live and recorded to TV without receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ProfLonghair, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    We are putting a TV out on our deck. I want to be able to watch, among other things, my DirecTV stuff, in addition to possibly amazon, netflix, whatever. I don't want to run any more wire than necessary, I don't want a receiver that I will have to return, then get a new one next year, and return, and so on, as the seasons change. I don't want to move a receiver out there every time I go out.

With that list of demands in mind, I am otherwise very open and flexible. I can build a small HTPC, I can use a tablet, I can get a Slingbox, whatever.

Whatever streams will be in my home network, streaming outside is a nice feature but nothing I'd use much. I plan on using Wifi, and the router will only be a few feet away, so signal quality shouldn't be an issue.

I use Directv2Pc on occasion on my main PC, but I don't think that does live tv. Not that money is no object, but this is something I plan on using for several years, so the ROi (if you will) should still bear out. I currently have 2 HR20s and two R16s.

What would be the best option to cover all this? I live in Ohio, so it's probably a 7 month of the year type deal, every year.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The iPad streaming with nomad is probably your best choice. You can mirror it to a TV if necessary. The wife uses it in the kitchen and we both use it on the deck.

1 person likes this.
  3. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Don't own an iPad, but I own Android devices. I could get one, but the WAF would be low, at least initially. If Nomad had an Android app, that would be different

Does Nomad work on live TV, or just recordings?

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    kind of both. it only works on recordings, but with the new "watch now" feature, you can set any live show to record (via the app as well) and then you can watch it on the iPad via the Nomad app by pulling the "recording"

5. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    With Nomad, though, my understanding was that you can't just watch somethigno n another DVR, but it has to be on the Nomad itself, meaning you have to transfer or set up series lists on it, right?

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you are inside your network, you can watch the playlist of any HDDVR "live". if you want to watch those shows while on the go, you fist have to download them to the mobile device first

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    nomad and the iPad or laptop has become my 'Picture in a Picture' (even though I have a genie). It's often that I have a game, golf, or race on the TV and iPad and watching the stats on the laptop.

8. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    so, buy either a HTPC or iPad (or hope that someday they actually come out with an Android version), and Nomad? Slingbox or Directv2pc are not as good?

9. FredZ

FredZ Mentor

Aug 22, 2007
    I have a slingbox and watch on my iPad -- it works great. I have access to all live and recoreded programing. There is a small lag when changing channels or ffwding that makes skipping commercials or channel surfing difficult; but if you just want to sit back and watch something it works well. The downside is that it is using one of your recievers from inside the house, so no one else would be able to watch something different on that receiver from inside the house. I think that sling has an android app so you should be able to use your current android tablet.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Do you already have the TV for the back deck, or are you getting ready to get one? You may want to consider getting a TV with RVU functionality built in, and upgrading one of your HR20s (or both) to a Genie whole home DVR.

With an RVU TV you will be able to watch live TV or any of your recordings out on the deck. Most RVU TVs also come with some other apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. You should also be able to turn off the RVU TV's service at the end of the summer when you put the TV away, so you don't have to pay the $6/month mirroring fee year round. Re-activating the RVU TV the next summer shouldn't require signing a new commitment with DirecTV either. All you would need for wiring this up would be a coax cable, or ethernet cable run to the deck, and a power outlet. If you run coax you will need a DECA adapter behind the TV to convert the coax DECA signal over to an ethernet signal the TV will understand. If you run ethernet to the back deck you would just hook it up to your TV.

Otherwise I would say maybe look for an owned HD receiver, that way you can turn it off every fall, and back on every summer, and you won't have to send it back like you would a leased receiver.

11. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    You can just get an HD receiver, and at the end of the summer put it on seasonal disconnect... you won't have to send it back...

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Do they still allow that? I didn't think they did. I thought you could only suspend entire accounts now, not just receivers. I have an H21 that only gets used a few months a year (Oct-Jan) I would love to be able to "seasonal disconnect".

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are you sure this can still be done?

14. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    You can do it if the receiver is "owned", if it is leased it has to go back to DirecTV.

15. ProfLonghair

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    In summary:

Option 1 is Nomad and a client (iPad or HTPC) or an RVU compatible Smart TV & Genie. Getting an additional receiver doesn't solve my situation because it only gets TV signal, and I still have to get something additional to watch all other online content. Additionally, it would be more holes in the outside of the house. Slingbox is also still an option, but it sounds like the implementation on Nomad might work a tad better.

If I can do wireless with the Smart TV, that's an interesting option, as my one HR20 is from when it first came out, when you had to play CSR Roulette to find one to get in the first place, so IDK how much longer it would last. Genie and the Smart TV are probably more expensive than Nomad/Client, but I can also see that I might have to replace at least one HR20 soon anyway. Replacing an HR20, however, means I lose everything that I have recorded on it.

NOmad is $150, and an iPad mini on the cheap end it $350 or so. I think I saw Genie is $300, and I'm not sure the price difference between a regular and Smart/RVU TV, plus that would cost an extra $6 per month that the TV is active as a client.

Good ideas so

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That is what I thought.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RVU is NOT wireless yet. perhaps in the feature with the introduction of 801.11ac wireless protocol this might become "doable"

18. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Well I mean you could switch to cable and plug directly into the TV then buy a MoCA adapter for internet to the Netflix playing box. Great solution and you don't have to deal with the complexity of DirecTV and the princely fee of ~$72 a year for another tv. /s

19. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Simplest solution is still a Slingbox. Connect the Slingbox to a receiver (depending on the size of the TV, you might want the HD capable Slingbox, but for a 19" or 20" TV the SD Slingbox should be sufficient) and use the Slingplayer app for your tablet with a HDMI cable between it and the TV. The only "catch" is that to watch some premium channels, and if you have a TV attached to the HDMI port of the receiver where the Slingbox is attached, that TV would have to be on. The workaround is to not use HDMI and connect both the TV and the Slingbox via component.

With a Sling/tablet solution, the only wired connection required is power for the TV (and maybe for the tablet if you are going to watch for many hours). You would have no recurring costs, just the initial purchase price of the Slingbox and the player for your tablet.

20. RobInMN

RobInMN New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Don't know if this will work for you, but in part of my house, I wanted to have DTV on 4 TV's and realized that 98% of the time, no one was ever watching different channels on them, most of the time, not even having more than one on at a time. So I bought a 1x4 HDMI splitter and CL-2 rated HDMI cable from monoprice.com and pulled runs from the master bedroom to the other 3 locations. Changed the remote to RF mode and it works perfect, no problems.