1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to upgrade system?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kzzz, May 16, 2010.

1. kzzz

kzzz Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    So I just bit the bullet and ordered an HR-24 to compliment my HR20 and 2 H20's. I have the 5 lnb non-SWM lnb. So am I better off getting an SWM-8 and using my existing lnb or would going with the SWM 5 lnb be the better method? I hesitate going with the SWM 3 lnb since it appears some locals still come off 110 and 119 and as of yet Directv hasn't made them available in my area. Hate to invest and discover I would need to change out again. I have gone through all the related posts for a couple of days and can't find a clear answer so I bow to the experts here!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Without any old legacy receiver, I see no benefit of using a SWM8 over the SWMLNB.
    Do you ever plan on having more than eight tuners connected?
    The SWM8 can be swapped or added to if you wanted/needed more tuners, which the LNB can't.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    With the SWM 16 out now I would not buy a SWM 8. Buy a SWM LNB for now and if you need to go past the 8 tuners get a 16. I also wouldn't worry about locals. I can't see DirecTV adding more locals without them being MPEG 4 for new markets.

4. kzzz

kzzz Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    I really can't see going beyond 8 tuners.. how many tv's can 1 person watch?? The most I anticipate is eventually having 3 DVR's and losing the H20's. So you don't see any problems with going to the SWM 3 lnb? It sounds like it's a little easier to align.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the 5 & 3 LNB are about the same to align. The tilt isn't a big deal and most of the time the listed setting is all you need. I don't know if your local [SD] come off 119 or not. All HD locals are 99 & 103.