1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Best wired internet connection option

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by jmbrooks, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jmbrooks

jmbrooks Legend

Jan 11, 2004
    Hey Forum,

I have an HR-21 and HR-23 with WHDVR active. Each receiver has a DECA box on the back. I want to set up a wired internet connection. The receiver in the LR has a 4-port Ethernet switch near it with an available port. The junction box in my utility room houses the Satellite cable splitter, power inserter and my Internet Router which also has an available port.

At which location would be best to make the connection and what hardware will I need?

How about this (forgive my noobness); a DECA at the junction box connected to the router? Split the power inserter??

Thx,

JM

2. Rob 14

Rob 14 New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    i have learned that if can wire to a device its best to.wirelessly you can not get the same speed as you would if wired.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    This is an interesting assertion I've not seen anyone make here.
    What specifics back this up? I presume your own experience. If so, with what?

Sorry, I completely misread your post!

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You'd need a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK), and you can insert it just about anywhere on the DECA's coax.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would prefer the CCK at the router, less "hops" for the "signal"

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    is NOT about speeds, as a decent "n" connection can handle a 300Mbps throughput. Is about reliability, wireless signals can be susceptible to a lot of interference