1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"BETA" for how long?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Tiebmbr, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Designating the DOD as "BETA" seems a little open-ended, especially since it has been available through CE for a couple of months now.

Now that it's available through national release, when do we drop the "BETA" moniker and see the "real deal"...especially regarding HD DOD?

2. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    We will drop it when DTV drops it. They decided to roll it out in it "beta" form

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    In 7 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours and 12 minutes, it will no longer be a beta. :D

Seriously, nobody has any idea ... Why is GMail still a beta?

The world may never know .......

4. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    That's what I meant...when does D* officially roll out the DOD content and lose the "just testing this out" mindset? Not that I'm being impatient, it just appeared to me as thought the 2 events should have coincided...NR and official DOD unveiling...

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The "Beta" designation will remain for an un-determined period of time...
    As the service may still adjust and change, based on the "larger" opinion pool of people that now have access to it.

It will eventually be "removed"... but it is BETA in the same sense that MediaShare items where BETA for the first few months....

You are seeing the "real deal" with DoD....
    The content will continue to increase both in quantity and quality...

6. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    That was the question I was posing.

7. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Is it now OK to contact D* in regards to any issues/questions with DOD? Or is this still not allowed till it's out of beta?

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I guess it would be.... but not sure what kind of support you are going to get about it at this point. (As compared to the support you would get here)

9. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    I still show the "media share" menu as being beta. So I would imagine it will be awhile.

10. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Earl,

I guess my question would be, when will the DOD be avaliable as part of updated national software? I know it's there for the CE's. But for those of us with only one HR20 and not risking downloading the CE, any idea on a ballpark guess? I helped in many software betas. The one thing you know is that it could completely rtender your sysytem unusable. Can't risk the same thing with having only one HD setup.
    Got my network going, just need the content to get to me :)

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    It is now...

0x1B4 is rolling out (slowly) to national, non CE users.

12. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Your box should autodownload the new NR within the week, that will enable it.

13. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Oops. Sorry, you already answered this....

14. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Thanks.... guess if I had noticed it stickied up top about the official release I would not have had to ask a stupid question that already answered. :nono2:

15. georgeorwell

georgeorwell AllStar

Jun 21, 2007
    An important thing to remember is that although the -100 and -700 designations mean a lot to us here, an HR20 is an HR20 to the general public. I would imagine until D* goes through all the same testing that happened with the -700, that DOD will not be out of the BETA stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.