1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Deals to New Customer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by alc965, Mar 23, 2013.

1. alc965

alc965 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2012
    One of my biggest gripes is when Directv gives better deals to new customers than to their loyal long term customers. For example Directv is now offering free MLB Extra and NFL Extra if you sign up with the 29.99 package

2. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    and you can bet that will never change...............:lol:

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    DirecTV isn't the only company that does this either. All companies give much better offers to attract customers than they do to existing customers.

4. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    A new protection plan benefit is coming soon that will give some long time customers those better deals. That is all I can say about it for now.

5. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Free NFL ST last year helped seal the deal for me. I switched from Charter and that was a very nice perk for free. I'm going to renew it this year so their tactic worked in that regard. :D

6. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Hopefully it will be something along the lines of free equipment upgrades to the latest hardware.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Exactly! It's everywhere!

8. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Only way this will stop is when people stop switching providers to get another providers new customer rate....so never. It would take EVERY satellite, cable and telco company to agree to ALL change price structure at same time to one that benefited tenured customers. Otherwise any company that didn't change to this structure at same time would get all the new subs without effort due to cheaper prices for new people. The current structure relies on people either being too afraid or lazy when their bill is too high for them or not getting all the features they want and thats the way it will stay because it makes a lot more sense to the consumer and business to operate this way. Think of it like this if you were a 10 year customer with company "X" and their regular rate for your service was $100 but due to your tenure your bill was $75 then wanted to change to company "Y" where you would start out paying the regular $100 monthly then wait 2 years for your bill to drop $10 then wait another 2 years to drop another $10 etc until you get to the same discounts you had with company "X" for your tenure, why would you change?

What your really asking for is huge upfront credits as a new sub and then huge credits again and again when those expire. Only way that makes sense for the company is instead of having the regular price be $100 is to raise the regular rate to say$125 then give you "discounts" of $25 to make you feel like your getting a bargain then wait until you call for discounts again when those expire.

We hear this argument all the time on this forum in various forms regarding discounts, free sunday ticket, etc but no one ever thinks of the ramifications of changing the current system or create a viable alternative.

Rant over......

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Customers already received emails about it. It's not a big secret.

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Every 2 years as long as you agree to a 2 year contract extension.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Though hopefully it is truly an upgrade. As we all know, replacing say an HR22, no guarantee of a 24. If I can upgrade my 34 to a guaranteed 44 under the plan (or whatever is newest at that time), I'll be happy.

12. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    You're correct it is not a secret.

It was a beta in Texas as Texas is like the size of multiple states into one. It is rolling out soon.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    May 16th.

Here's the email:

We heard your feedback and have added several great new improvements to the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN as a result, including an equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge. (Offer requires a renewed 24-month agreement.)* Effective May 16, 2013, the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN will increase by $2 per month to $7.99. We're sure you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for these great new benefits. For a list of benefits, see chart below.

If you would like more information about upgrading your equipment, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 on or after May 16, 2013 and reference "upgrade my equipment" in our automated phone system.

You get even more protection and better benefits^

NEW BENEFIT: Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge.

NEW BENEFIT: Unintentional and accidental damage from handling of the DIRECTV System.

And of course, you continue to get:

On-site repairs and the cost associated with replacing defective equipment.

Protection for every DIRECTV Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna and wiring, plus dish antenna realignment.

24-hour technical support, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV and Asurion Service Plans of Florida, Inc., Your DIRECTV Plan provider

Fine print at bottom:

EQUIPMENT UPGRADE OFFER: Offer available once in any 24-month period for qualifying customers only (lease required). Qualification based on DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN tenure. Residential customers only. Go to directv.com/myaccount and sign in to see what offer is currently available to you.

14. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    According to the website, I qualify for an equipment upgrade on May 2, 2013

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Sounds good to me.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It still doesn't say what constitutes an upgrade. Is HR22 to 24 an upgrade or only something like R16 to some sort of HD DVR, HD DVR to Genie etc?

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The upgrades are non-model specific. So you can get a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client but you can't specify what model. So if you have an HR21 and want an HR24, or have an HR34 Genie and want an HR44 genie, this won't help you. But if you have a receiver and want a DVR, or have a DVR and want a genie, this program will give you that.

18. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    $48 additional bucks every 2 years for those already with the plan is a decent price to pay to upgrade 3 devices

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Got it. That's hat I was expecting, not what I was hoping.

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't see us ever having the option to specify a model when requesting equipment.