1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible Secrets Revealed on the History Channel

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]

I'm finding the first show in Bible Secrets Revealed series to be very interesting.

Lots of tidbits that I never heard of before.

Like, I didn't know that just carrying a Bible that was translated into a common language earn you a death sentence.

Anyone else watch it so far?

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    No.

1 person likes this.
  3. WayneG

WayneG New Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Kentucky
    I didn't see this program but I have watched other programs similar to this and have found them to be interesting but not always accurate in relation to the context of the Biblical text. I will try to watch the next airing and post any observations afterwards. As far as good solid Biblical teaching I do highly recommend John MacArthur and his Grace To You program. His website is www.gty.org and contains tons of free downloads from his many years of sermons.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Accuracy may well depend on which "biblical text" you're reading at the time. There are many of them and few (if any) are in complete agreement in terms of historical details.

Note that when I think of "biblical text", I think of successive translations of stories that were told on either side of the mortal period of Christ.

These programs are less about religion and more about the support for (or against) some of the claims made. Application of science to things religious has always been an "are you really sure you want to know" proposition.

One of the recent documentaries that explores the question of Jesus' family crypt was particularly interesting even if it isn't mentioned in the "biblical texts".

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    The 'gold standard' would be the 1611 King James. Might want to view all others as heresy.

:eek2:

6. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That is what this episode stated. That a lot of the original text got corrupted in the translations from original Hebrew to early Arabic to early Greek to Latin to 15th Century Common Languages and finally to our Modern Languages.

For me, I would really like to read a modern translation of an original bible text. Not one, that has gone thru a series of translations and modifications thru the ages.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How about the documents that didn't pass muster with the First Council of Nicaea?

There are multiple interpretations in the Lampsa translation (most based on possible physical damage in the translated documents).

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Keep in mind there was no court reporter creating a transcript nor a videographer present at the events portrayed in those books. Nor is there an Aramaic native-language original edition describing events during the last 30 years of the first century AD.

I was taught in college by an old bible scholar that the First Council determined what was included, but in recent times I've learned what is stated in Wikipedia is true: "A number of erroneous views have been stated regarding the council's role in establishing the biblical canon. In fact, there is no record of any discussion of the biblical canon at the council at all."

What is explained in another Wikipedia entry (I've retained the links to other articles and to the footnotes:

1 person likes this.
  9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Wasn't that mostly about what went into New Testament?

I'm more interested in the Old Testament.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I love shows like this that always seem to pop up around Christmastime! The aggregate of them always seems to be that the Bible is a bunch of colorful fables designed originally to be understood as allegorical fables, yet somehow along the way insecure folks and cynical politicians started to take or apply them them literally. And that's caused most of the suffering in the world.

Gotta love how douchebag Emperor Constantine just chucks out anything he doesn't like in the Bible, and keeps only the parts that will tend to keep him in power and rolling in cash, and keep the rabble pacified and fearful. Sweet!

Historians are always pointing out the complete impossibility of popular Biblical myths such as the birth of Jesus on December 25th, O A.D.. And things go downhill pretty fast after that. Gotta love it! It's like Mythbusters but solving the Ultimate Myths.

2 people like this.
  11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The article you quoted mentions several books that were excluded. Exclusion certainly seems like an effort to establish a canon. One of the shows suggests that there were well over 30 documents to be considered including the Gospel of Mary.

Somehow there are more canons than there are books so there must be a few that got dismissed as part of the process; particularly those considered apocryphal or just too damn scary (see more at Dante's Inferno).

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well there is your problem. December 25th is not a Biblical myth. The date of birth for Jesus does not appear in the Bible. The myth would be that the date given was Biblical.

If people are trying to disprove the Bible by disputing facts that are not in it they are on the wrong path. :)

It is good to see the history around the Bible and (on the television show) have an open discussion about how it came to be in its present form. Such things are not a topic of any forum on this site. For the people who have watching the show, do you feel that it is a fair presentation of history or do you feel that the show is either debunking or proselytizing?

13. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Caught the second episode, total blah. Not one new interesting tidbit.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some theorize that more than one date on the Christian calendar was chosen to co-opt a date (often a festival of some sort) on the pagan calendar.

December 25th happens to be "Dies Natalis Invicti Solis", the Roman "Birthday of the invincible sun God" to celebrate when the days start getting longer each year.

Easter is theorized to be similar "theft" in some circles as the time when the days become longer than the nights.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You missed the point ... if it isn't in the Bible it isn't a biblical myth.
    (I'll expand that to "or was specifically excluded" to cover the books not accepted for the Bible.)

16. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Good point, in fact, it's in the very reading of Biblical text which points to a more accurate date for the true birth of Jesus--had to be in the early Spring since that's when the shepherds were guarding their flocks by night. Of course, Dec. 25th was chosen to co-opt the pagan celebration of the Solstice. And Biblical scholars all agree there was no way any self-respecting Jew of the age would put a baby in a dirty manger. The baby would have been born in a house something like a B&B but with a midwife.

I guess the whole notion of the Bible is complicated by asking, "Which Bible?" There were lots. And the ones we know best were highly redacted, many suppressed Gospels missing. Especially those that said you can do it yourself, you don't need priests, churches or Popes. Those weren't profitable enough.

Shows like this don't reveal much, but they are interesting in that they show a lot about how Man tries to come to grips with the Great Unknown, and how best to prophet and profit off it.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is where shows like this can do the most good. By putting the written word into context and explaining what the writer meant. Even if the common reader understood the source language and had the original documents to read they need to understand the cultural reference as to what those words meant. Add in some archeology to show how houses were built 2000 years ago and the picture may clear up.

A house design with a place for animals inside the house and a small guest room might be a better picture. Delivering a child in another area of the home because there was not enough space in the guest room is not far fetched. One just needs to get away from the 20th century concepts of home construction and culture.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would argue that the term "biblical" is as much a reference to a time period as it is The Bible. As such, any myth regarding the period of time that The Bible covers could be considered a "biblical myth".

19. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Easter is connected to Passover.

20. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Like Jesus mother being a virgin instead of young woman was changed during the translation to ancient Greek.

Another is the crossing of the Red Sea. It was originally the Reed Sea. The Reed Sea can be crossed without Cecil DeMille special effects.