1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Big Bang Theory, bad recording May 2nd

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by IndyMichael, May 3, 2013.

1. May 3, 2013 #1 of 19
    IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Went to watch the Big Bang Theory last night, and it looked like it was recorded during a storm, but we had nothing but clear skies last night. It recorded the same unwatchable video on the two receivers it records on. I've never had that happen before.

2. May 3, 2013 #2 of 19
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just for reference, I recorded and watched BBT on Comcast -- no technical issues with program/reception.

3. May 3, 2013 #3 of 19
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I watched my recording today on my nomad and had no issues....and there was a constant rain here.

4. May 3, 2013 #4 of 19
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    If it happened on both receivers then it's most likely something between the dish and your switch. Who knows, maybe a bird parked itself on your LNB. :)

5. May 3, 2013 #5 of 19
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    It was great seeing Bob Newhart in last nights episode

2 people like this.
  6. May 3, 2013 #6 of 19
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ditto.

How funny was that "Then you're the genius!" line??? !rolling

7. May 3, 2013 #7 of 19
    IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes it was, eerie thing was, when I coulnd't watch BBT, I went to my list of old NCIS shows on USA and Bob was a guest on that episode too.

8. May 4, 2013 #8 of 19
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Might have been a problem with your local CBS station signal, or DirecTV's feed of that signal. No issues with BBT here in Seattle.

9. May 4, 2013 #9 of 19
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Recorded fine here from Charlotte. Was a funny show - in fact, it's the funniest sitcom every week without trying to squeeze a laugh from a tired / unrealistic situation (2-1/2 men).

10. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009

But it's Comcrap and the PQ andandand, never mind.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good contribution there, but that kind of "crap" is getting old. Can't you at least come up with something at least semi-original?
    FYI, around these parts, Comcast's service, HD channel selection and PQ are top-notch. It's not your father's Comcast anymore!

12. wxman

wxman New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    It was a problem with local channels in the Indy area. I lost TBBT, but I watched Community off the air and it was fine. See the Indy local channel thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/129445-hd-locals-indianapolis-in/page-3

13. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah, I'm in the Charlotte area too, no problem with that particular episode but I HAVE seen that digital breakup thing on other recordings and sometimes live as I'm watching (not just CBS) while it was clear and sunny out. Oh, and the installer told me rain and clouds almost never knock out the signal anymore but I've had it go out the last two times it rained here (not light rain, but not a downpour either).

14. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Mo problem with that recording in Houston, Tx

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Your installer wasn't quite right. . . particularly on the HD channels. A typical thunderstorm approaching from the west / southwest will have rainfade before it starts raining at your house!

Basically think of the dish having to look through the wall of water (clouds) to the southwest.

I don't remember any in the last month or so but our weather hasn't been typical - yet.

16. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I took what he said with a grain of salt. It was overcast and drizzly during the install, no problem. But I remember when I had Directv before how the signal would slowly go out whenever we got the rain from the southwest, which has happened twice in the past month.

17. powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2008
    I think it must have been a problem between wish 8 and dtv
    It really did not matter I just watch it on direct TV video on demand

18. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Funny, my BBT recording on WISH-TV 8 via DIRECTV didn't exhibit any problems whatsoever.

Could it have been some sort of local interference that affected only part of the market? I'm in the NE suburbs.

19. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I live in Nashville, and I tried to watch that Big Bang recording last night, and it just gave an error (bad packets or something like that). I had never had that happen before either, and Thursday night had clear weather.

Good to know I wasn't the only one.