1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big dilemma

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by andy8888, Jun 30, 2013.

1. andy8888

andy8888 AllStar

Mar 8, 2005
    Hi, I have been a dish user for almost 10 years and have been happy with the services I have been receiving.
    I have considered switching my VIP622 to a hopper especially that my DVR seems to have few issues lately.
    When I called dish, they told me that I need to sign a new 2 year contract if I'm not mistaken and my monthly bill will increase. Right now, I pay just over 100 without any premium channels.
    The other day I received a card in the mail from ATT saying they have Uverse in my area and I can combine and upgrade my existing services and add uverse and will get 300 in gift cards. When I called them the total for home phone, internet and TV with premium channels would be 130. Currently, I pay 100 for my land-line and DSL with ATT. They told me this price would be guaranteed for 2 years.
    Now this sounds like an awesome deal but I heard of some nightmares with the quality of TV pictures and services being interrupted a lot. I never seen uverse TV in action but I read that dish has a better DVR and picture quality.
    Now the ATT DVR allows you to record more shows and can use more than one HDTV but the Dish DVR is rated the best in its class.
    I know that I will be saving a lot over the next 2 years and I don't have to make 2 years commitment with ATT but worried about the quality and headaches.

Can anyone tell me their experience with ATT uverse comparing to Dish and if you regret switching?
    Any advice? Any pros and cons?

Thanks

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I admit I do not have personal experience with either service, but with UVerse be careful on what level of UVerse you will get. The number of simultaneous HD streams is determined by your location. It can be anywhere from 2 to 4 (3 recordable) I believe.

With a Hopper, you'd have at least 3 at once, and the only limitation is the number of tuners (without PTAT factored in).

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have no personal experience with ATT U-Verse, but some friends have had it and after the introductory pricing expired they went back to Dish - prices jump considerably.

They were not enamored with the U-Verse DVR either - Dish really has the best equipment.

If you don't mind the hassle, check out U-Verse and when you decide to come back to Dish after a year or so, you can get new customer discounts.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm happy with U-verse for internet... but don't have an interest in them as a TV service. The TV and internet share the same bandwidth... so if you use the internet you might find you can't watch TV as good as you want OR you might be watching TV and find your internet to be slow... and at best, right now, I think they are talking 2 HD streams at a time... maybe 3 in some areas... but that is for your whole house. With Dish, you can have 2-3 tuners in each receiver (or Hopper) and have a lot more than those 2-3 streams going... so unless there was a significant price savings (and there isn't) I wouldn't go to AT&T for TV options.

6. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Only you can make a cost/benefit calculation for your needs. I go through the same numbers from time to time. While I could save some money by switching away from Dish, I would also lose some channels I watch altogether, and others would go from HD to SD. In the end, I conclude that the price difference makes it worth staying with Dish. I didn't have the older Dish equipment, but I've owned a bunch of DVRs and can easily say the Hopper is my favorite by far. It lacks a couple of features I wish it had, but it also works properly for the features it does have. Fast and reliable.

As others have said, if you experiment with another service, you get the new customer discounts when (if?) you come back to Dish (I can't remember whether it is 3 or 6 months you have to be away to be considered new.) Those are a considerable savings. But ultimately, only you know if you're getting value for your dollar, because only you know what is most important to you.

7. andy8888

andy8888 AllStar

Mar 8, 2005
    Thanks you all for your replies. I know saving money is big part of this but I also know that it might not worth it when you have bad service and have to call tech support every few minutes to solve an issue.
    I know that we are heavy internet users and if this is going to cause and issue with watching TV, then it will be a deal breaker.
    I will check with ATT about it and see what are the options of having the TV on a separate connection.
    Cheers

8. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=12pt]I would be more than happy to help you with any DISH or Hopper questions you may have. I will provide you our link explaining more about the Hopper/Joey system. If you have any further questions please PM me and I am more than happy to assist you: http://www.dish.com/technology/hopper/?WT.svl=technologysubnav [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Thanks[/SIZE]