1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Big echostart antenna use for reception only

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by ladyharley, May 21, 2012.

1. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I was wondering if it is possible to use the big (huge) Echostar antenna I have out back as a regular HDTV antenna just for local reception as an antenna to pick up my local channels, by connecting the cables to an HDTV? Would their be some simple modifications to make is usable just for reception?

Thanks

2. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I guess it's called a C band antenna

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, it will not work. The TV would not put out the power to the LNB, and even if it did, the LNB is for 4GHZ signals, and TV is around 0.5GHZ.

You can use a FTA receiver, and replace the LNB on the dish, and use it to pick up some free TV in HD, depending on the condition of the dish.

4. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Is there a quick explanation on these HDTV antennas you buy, why they pick up the HD stations and a regular antenna wouldn't? I mean I see these makeshift antennas made out of coat hangers that pick up HD TV from local stations, which is what I am looking for.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Any antenna designed for TV will pick up HDTV. The only thing you need to determine is if you have any low or high VHF channels in your market. Most antennas labeled HDTV are UHF only, as most stations migrated to UHF. While a UHF only antenna might work if you are close enough to the station, it would be best to get one that covers the channels you want. Check www.tvfool.com and enter your address and/or zip, and it will list the channels, direction, and type of antenna you need at your location.

6. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Thanks.... I know I receive HDTV as well as analog and I know where the transmitters on the mountain are.. I just wanted to make sure the dish cables connected to the tv would work instead of buying an HDTV antenna..

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    "HDTV antennas" are nothing but marketing hype! The OTA signals are still broadcast on the same TV bands as before the analog/digital conversion, except many stations are on different channels (i.e. my channel 3 is on OTA channel 17 but they still i.d. them selves as "ch 3", that is a "virtual channel").

So if you had a VHF/UHF antenna already on your roof chances are it will still work just fine receiving digital signals.

8. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    yeah, but if I can find the manual for the SRD 4000 echostar to connect the cables to the receiver correctly, I can get wild feeds and see what I can do with it. I know it works, I just lost the manual.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Here is Handbook for you http://www.scribd.com/doc/34767954/SRD-4000-Tech-Handbook

10. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Thank you.. much appreciated... already downloaded the scribble earlier. Typical tech scribble HA... Doesn't show diagrams of cable hook ups :-(

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Cable from the Dish would go to the LNB/SAT in port on the back of the receiver. What other cables do you have to connect?

12. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    There are three cables, one coax, and real thick one and a real small one coming from the LNB

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Maybe you could take a picture of the ends of the three cables together there. If you had the brand name of the LNB, that would help. Basically, older C band dishes had one coax cable for the signal, a pair of 2 or 4 wires to control the polarity (polorotor), and possibly another one to control the dish drive arm to change its positions.

In current equipment, all three of those functions are performed with one cable, or one cable plus the drive arm, depending on the style.

14. ladyharley

ladyharley Cool Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes I can take a pic. I will do that and post. You are right, I believe one of the cables at least go to the extra box labeled dish mover. I don't know if I can get the name of the LNB, other than the dish itself in the center has HUGE letters Echostar :)