1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big subscriber loss in DIRECTV LA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, Jun 27, 2013.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    1 person likes this.
  2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    DirecTV says Latin America unit over-reported subscriber numbers

(Reuters) - DirecTV said an internal investigation found that its Latin America unit had over-reported subscriber numbers at the end of March by about 200,000 due to improper practices by some employees.

The satellite TV provider said some Sky Brasil employees had improperly credited subscriber accounts to reduce or eliminate balances owed, artificially reducing attrition.

Full Story Here

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    sucks to be them!

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Help me understand this. Whould these customers have otherwise been formally cancelled automatically?

It has never been valid to hold that customers are synonymous with revenue.

5. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    The number of customers can have an impact on advertising fees. More potential viewers, more money. So yes, customers can be synonymous with revenue in that respect.

6. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    LOL Can you say account stacking?

No names please, but alot of Indian folks living here in the US do that all the time with Dishnetwork services............. Looks like Latin America has done the same.

SIG

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Does advertising really have nearly as much impact as subscription revenues? I can't quantify how much carrier-inserted advertising I see each day but I'm not thinking it is keeping the lights on as compared to network broadcast television.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What does account stacking have to do with deadbeat subscribers? It isn't as if they can easily convert their receivers to piggyback off a different account.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    AS to why, perhaps an employee or two whose compensation was tied at least partially to subscriber numbers and/or growth got creative with the books.

Yes, ad revenues would be a factor in bottom line.

Customers "synonymous" with revenue? Usually, yes, and big time for most. Especially if you caveat it with non-delinquent customers. Certainly no customers = no revenue, unless one is living off a nice portfolio, not gonna happen with a large publicly held company.