1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Ten Alternates

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by John W, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Last year I believe these were mapped down just above 439. What happened?

2. Yoji

Yoji New Member

Apr 12, 2003
    5440s and 9500s (HD)

3. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Saw that, just wonder why the map down was eliminated.

4. stadt11

stadt11 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I had to upgrade from Top 100 to Top 100 Plus in order to get the BigTen Network, it doesn't come with the basic programming anymore. It is still on channel 439. Alternates on the 5440 channels.

5. bobarc

bobarc New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Is it only in certain markets now? I don't see it here in Charlotte.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It was originally in "free preview" mode for everyone... but the first of this year it became a regional channel only. You get Big Ten "free" if you are in Big Ten country, otherwise you have to pay for it by adding the multisport (if available depending on your other packages).

It is weird if they took down the mappings but still have the alternates. I guess maybe instead of dedicating the alternates just to Big Ten they are going to share them with other sporting events and decided to just not "brand" them as Big Ten alternates only, perhaps?

7. ernste40

ernste40 Mentor

Nov 9, 2005
    Here's a conundrum I found with Dish's BTN alternates today... I scheduled my DVR to record the Badgers game and and ended up with 5 hrs of black screen. The reason I can figure out id that they didn't turn on/make the channel available until 10 a.m. But, since the DVR is set to start recording a minute early, it tried to start while Dish's system thought the channel was unavailable, so, it gave me 5 hrs of "This channel is unavailable" instead of the game when I got home. Next week I will try adjusting the timer to not start a minute early and see if that fixes it...

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Funny though, I forgot about the early start for the Penn State game. I got the message it was unavailable, I skipped for over the first minute, the message disappeared and I watched the entire game with no problems. I was on one of the HD Alt BTN channels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.