1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Big Ten Network Still Working to Be Seen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by MikeR7, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Click Here for the entire article

2. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Nice, since I live in Ohio, I won't need sports pak to watch my beloved Wolverines.......

3. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Dodge Boy,

You traitor :)

Go Bucks!

Bruce

4. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    "Beyond the eight states where Big Ten schools play -- Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin -- Silverman hopes to negotiate deals that will allow viewers to see the network on nothing more expensive than second-tier programming packages, those just above the basic level."

YES!! Please don't stop at the 8 states. These big schools have alumni all over the world...

A little trivia for you: What non-Florida school has the most alumni living in Florida?
    A) Georgia
    B) Texas
    C) Penn State
    D) Alabama
    E) Michigan
    F) Auburn
    G) NC State

The answer: C) Penn State - A little surprising....

Bring some Big10 football down here please!!!

5. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Ha HA HA....... :D

6. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Boy talk about disjoined loyalties... A wolverine fan in Ohio with a Gator avatar. :rolleyes: Well atleast you've got a good signature. :lol:

7. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Well Wolverines (my Big Ten Favorite) and anyone who whoops it up on O.S.U. twice in one year! I don't play follow the leader.....

8. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007

:p :p Hey scUM fan!!:p :p

9. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Let's just hope that DISH Network decides to carry the Big Ten Network. There are a lot of Buckeye fans out here in Colorado. It will be nice to get an alternative to Mountain West and Big 12 sports out here.

GO BUCKS!

10. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I'm an Indiana grad myself.

This is an interesting move by the Big Ten. Definitely means more $$$$ for the 11 schools, but you have to wonder if cable outlets in California, Texas, Florida, etc...basically non-Midwestern states will pick up this channel. Will this hurt recruiting for Big Ten schools because they won't be on ESPN nearly as much...will young prospects in states outside of the Midwest see the Big Ten teams that much? Somewhat risky if they don't receive carriage outside of DIRECTV.

Obviously it's a great move by D*. It should be interesting to follow this story.

11. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Actually, Big Ten football and basketball will be on ESPN even more now than ever before. See, that's why they created the Big Ten Network, because instead of letting ESPN have their "lesser" games on ESPNU or Gameplan where no one could see them, they have forced ESPN's hand to put them on their primary networks, or not have the rights to show them at all.

12. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006

I hope you're right, that's not what I've heard through the grapevine. I have heard they plan on putting the major games on the BTN to try and force carriage. Much like ESPN used to put Duke vs UNC, etc on ESPN2 back in the day to force cable companies to pick up ESPN2.

13. auribe14@mac.com

auribe14@mac.com Cool Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Big Ten Network article from Indy Star

This supplements the existing contracts with ESPN/ABC, CBS, etc. Instead of lesser games being only on local channels (ESPN Plus) or not at all, they will now be shown on BTN. An example from the article- Indiana Football will be shown on BTN six or seven times. This year, I think we were only on TV 2 or 3 times all year, not even making ESPN+ some weeks. This will actually increase the exposure for the weaker teams, nationally as well since it is going to be on DirecTV, at least. I can see a market such as LA carrying it as well, considering the Rose Bowl tie-in.

14. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Don't worry as long as D has them other carriers will follow :) D the leader in sports :sunsmile:

15. HateComCrap

HateComCrap Mentor

Dec 29, 2006
    Yes...please don't stop at the 8 states. My daughter plays for Iowa's Field Hockey team and would love for my parents to be able to occasionally see her play.

Go Hawkeyes!!!!

16. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Another Michigan fan here. Maybe this is a way to watch more hockey. GO BLUE!!!

17. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Good luck. Hockey is about all you guys have left to root for these days. :lol:

18. woody16.2

woody16.2 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Will the BTN have any HD content?

GO BUCKS!!!

19. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    There's already a Big Ten network

it's called ESPN ;)

20. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Quite possibly. This is a big question I have is since there's no Big10 hockey conference, would we see hockey? Since i've seen the commercials and they feature hockey, I'm curious what they'll show. Will they show key Big10 school hockey matchups? Will they show feature CCHA and WCHA games as long as one team is a Big10 team?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.