1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big time sound problems with Dish DVR and receiver

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by guiri, Aug 18, 2015.

1. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Guys, I have a very long story but I'm going to try to make it very short.

Basically, I have a hopper and a yamaha AV receiver and the sound is not right somehow.
    The VOICES in tv shows blend in with the background noises,. They are NOT very well defined.
    In an episode of zoo (S01e06) where they sit in the back of the ambulance and talk, I can hear every
    damn cricket in the background.

I found and downloaded the same file off the web for testing and the difference between the one recorderd
    on the hopper from dish and the one I downloaded and played through my Western Digital TV media player is BIG.
    The WD TV sounds much better.

Before I go into too much detail, does anyone have any suggestions?

Sound was better I think with my 612. I then got the hopper and things went downhill from there.

I connect through HDMI ports.

Thanks

George

2. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    A 5.1 source played as stereo tends to do what you describe. Make sure you are outputting 5.1 and the center channel speaker is working properly - maybe upping the volume on the center channel will help.

1 person likes this.
  3. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Wilf, I only have two speakers, no center speaker.

Do you know if the 612 sound different from the Hopper?

The thing is, my setup used to sound great but then I got the hopper and it all went downhill from there.

Thanks

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Sounds like you have Dolby digital 5.1 turned on on the hopper and its outputting that to an av receiver that's why you have no center sound. Check your AV receiver and set it to downconvert to stereo or maybe you can also change the hopper to only output stereo instead of full Dolby digital.

1 person likes this.
  5. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Thanks but I don't think there IS an option on the hopper to do anything or at least, I can't find it. Found the digital/pcm vs pcm only option but that's it.

The av receiver IS set to stereo only...

6. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Try setting the Hopper to PCM only and see if that helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    I've done both and no difference...

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Try connecting the RCA analog outputs on the Hopper to the A/V rcvr. There maybe some set up in the A/V rcvr to make that happen; like u may need to assign that audio input on the AVR to your SAT HDMI video in put source, in addition to turning OFF 'use HDMI for sound' on the AVR. If it's a true AVR, then y r u NOT using 5 speakers?

If for some reason u can't get the AVR to STOP listening for audio via the HDMI, then try connecting the hopper to the AVR via Component video cables RGB. That would at least force the AVR to look for the analog stereo input.

The big knock on Component video is that it's not 1080p! But what content is??? Everything coming out of the hopper is 1080i or lower (except for those few designated 1080p OnDemand movies) and component outputs 1080i, so your not losing anything.

9. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    I hooked the hopper to the receiver with rca cables but no real difference in the sound. Still not as good as playing the same file (dowloaded file) through
    the WD TV....
    Not sure how correctly I hooked it up as I didn't get a picture but I got sound and I figured that's what counts anyway and there's no real difference in the sound
    between hdmi and rca connection.

Dish is coming out on Sunday and they're supposed to bring a 612 and a 722 with them including optical cable and some hdmi cables so we'll see what happens.
    I'll post the results.

Thanks

10. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    When you say 'hooked up with rca cables', did u disconnect the HDMI?

I believe the issue is the digital audio. Without a 'center' channel, digital audio is useless to you. The AVR is pulling the digital audio from the HDMI, thus the 5.1 SS audio where predominantly all "Voices" emit from the center channel speaker. Only way to curb that is thru settings or only connect analog sources (RCA/Component/Composite) to the AVR.

You said u had a vip612 before. Hooked up the same way thru the AVR? and no issue? Try hooking the Hopper directly to the tv. This way you can isolate whether the issue is the Hopper or the AVR. I still suspect there are some settings on the AVR u can jump thru to correct this.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yes - I would hook the HDMI from the Hopper directly to the TV, then use either TOSLINK (optical) or RCA from either the TV or the Hopper to the AVR. Or - component from the Hopper to the TV (along with the audio) and analog audio out from TV to the AVR.

I'm surprised your AVR doesn't have a mode that is stereo output only. I'd be turning off ALL audio processing until you are getting good stereo audio output from it.

12. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    No, was I supposed to disconnect the HDMI's while on rca and if so, why? I had it set to a different input on the receiver.

I guess hooking it up to the tv is an option for TESTING purposes but it won't work in the long run 'cause the tv doesn't amplify the sound enough
    for my hearing. My hearing is going really bad and this is the reason I got a receiver.

Yes, on the 612, everything was hooked up exactly the same way with the same cable. I SEEM to remember (although I could be wrong since my memory sucks)
    having a bit of a hard time getting it set up so it sounded the way I wanted it but once I did, it ran great for over a year till I plugged in the hopper and then everything
    changed. I do NOT know if it was just the hopper or by connecting it I somehow screwed up the receiver but I've checked on the AVS forum with people that own the same
    receiver and I DO have all the settings right...

So yes on the 612 and yes to better sound!!

13. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
  14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    This might sound kind of strange - but usually if you have had enough hearing loss that your TV doesn't do it anymore - don't you need hearing aids and not an AVR ? because if you are planning on turning up the volume on the AVR - I sure don't want to be close to you (my ears would start ringing hearing at that volume on a long term basis).

1 person likes this.
  15. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Not strange at all but it's not just about volume, it's about the sound coming out of the speakers. Sure, I could have gone with a hearing aid but frankly, at the time I didn't think of it and the sound
    is not going to be as good I assume as that of a good set of speakers.

I guess I can reinvent anything and start from scratch but again, there's that little issue of...BUT IT SOUNDED good just a few months ago :(

It's kinda like when you try to think of something but you can't remember it right there and then. This is the same thing. It irritates me that I can't
    get it to work right when I know it sounded great just a few months ago. A bit stubbornness mind you but I do think I have the right (and no, not being sacrastic or anything)
    to want to get it back to where it was where there really shouldn't be any difference in sound and of course, clearly there is and I want my sound back :)

I talked to my mom who has headphones that she uses when watching tv 'cause she stays up late and she doesn't want to bother the neighbors.
    Well, the problem with that is that they never sound the way a speaker does. I want to hear it like it is coming from in front of me.

I didn't think of the headphones but frankly, even if I had, I probably wouldn't have pursued it.

By the way, the dish guy was here today and he DID hear the difference and he's having his boss call who apparently deals with not only dish but sound systems
    n' so on so here's hoping. I will be back :)

George

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you connected the RCA, you used the analog type (red & white) not the digital type RCA (usually orange connector color)?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

17. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Nope, I used the kind with the other colors. I DID ask somewhere (I think it was at the yamaha service place...I THINK but not sure)
    if they were all the same and I was told that they were. I always thought that maybe they're different 'cause I've got all kinds of colors
    but I was told recently that they were all the same...

Not true?

I DO have red and white ones too if I should try that.

18. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    They're trying to get you to bypass the digital input on the AVR. If you leave the HDMI connected the AVR is most likely defaulting to that and NOT taking the analog RCA input. If you plug HDMI into the TV directly, just for testing purposes, you should either turn your TV speakers all the way down or off if you have the option. Then you hook the RCA cables to your TV input on your AVR and listen through the AVR while watching the HDMI video on the TV. This will ensure that the AVR is getting analog only from the Hopper. If you hook it up this way and the sound is the same as has been since you got the Hopper, you know it is not a digital problem, but could be a Hopper problem. Should be simple to test. Just make sure the HDMI from Hopper is NOT connected to AVR while you're testing.

19. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    Ok, I'm dense as hell and have a huge reading comprehension problem so let's see if I get this.

NO HDMI while doing the rca connection check.

What color cables should I use?

Speakers on the tv are always off/down.

So, HDMI from the hopper straight to the TV?

RCA cables FROM the Hopper to the tv input on the AVR?

I'll try this.

Hypothetical question. Say this works and it sounds better and you guys go, it's a digital problem.
    Why then would it have sounded good before when I haven't made changes to anything?

I'm going to try this and see if that changes the sound and I know my last question might be premature
    but that's what bothers me the most.
    Well, no, let me rephrase that. Mostly, I want my stuff to work, no matter how but it's like a thorn in my side so to speak
    that it worked great before but not any longer :(

THanks

20. guiri

guiri New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    NC, USA
    I finally downgraded to a 612 (DVR) from the Hopper in hope of getting back the sound and guess what? Not only does it not
    sound the way it used to sound, I even think it sounds worse.

What now?

I still have the second Yamnaha receiver I just bought and haven't returned. I will try it out but I'm not holding my breath. This has GOT to be some
    kind of compatibility issue considering the 612 I had before the hopper sounded great.

Another important comment here. Dish was NO help in this matter. A local dish installer was out here yesterday and heard the problem.
    He then came back today with a hopper with sling hoping (but not really holding his breath) that maybe that would fix it but we couldn't
    install it as dish would NOT allow him to install unless I paid a $350 upgrade since the sling was an upgrade. He explained for a long while
    that we just wanted to see if it would be better but nothing.

Here's the thing, they also wanted to charge me a $250 fee to DOWNGRADE to the 612...

THIEVES is all I can say. Damn crooks! I've been with them for something like 12 years and this is the *hit you get!

I'm going to call the installer again and see if he has any ideas. Maybe I should to back to a completely analog receiver or something?

:(