1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Billing period and commitment period are not the same

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by skyboysea, Dec 30, 2013.

1. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    Today I called Dish to cancel service. I thought that since today is the first day in my billing cycle it would have made things easier: no additional billing for service and exactly 9 month of ETF to pay. Not so fast. I found out that I still had 9 months and 2 days remaining in my commitment so I would have to pay for 10 months of ETF. I chose to pay to more days of service just to avoid being charged for a whole month of ETF.

As an advice for people thinking of cancelling their service: call ahead and ask Dish the day your commitment anniversary is to avoid incurring extra charges.

As a comment on Dish policy: this stinks because the "24 month commitment" is not actually 24 month as any reasonable person would count and, to my knowledge, this is not disclosed to customers when they sign their contract.

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Perhaps not applicable in this case, but I remain surprised at the number of clients I've had over the years eager (yes, eager) to pay the ETF to change service.

And that is both D* and E* subscribers.

And here I sit with both at my house . . .

:coffee

3. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    I paid the ETF because I finally convinced my wife to cut the cord. Maybe smash the dish is more appropriate. Everything I watch is available either for free or for way less Dish (or any other provider) would charge me for.