1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bin Laden family's US exit 'approved'

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Hack, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 4, 2003 #1 of 76
    Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    http://www.news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=971322003

"THE United States allowed members of Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11, even as American airspace was closed."

What's up with this?

"Tom Kinton, director of aviation at Boston’s Logan Airport, said: "We were in the midst of the worst terrorist act in history and here we were seeing an evacuation of the Bin Ladens."
    :confused: :mad:

Here's another one:
    http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030902-094941-3712r.htm

"NEW YORK, Sept. 2 (UPI) -- The bin Laden family were granted extraordinary White House privileges to fly out of U.S. airspace following the attacks of Sept. 11th, 2001.

Former White House counter terrorism expert Richard Clarke told Vanity Fair the Bush administration decided to allow a group of Saudis to fly out of U.S. airspace just after Sept. 11-- a time when access to the United States was still restricted and required special government approval.

According to the magazine's sources, at least four flights with about 140 Saudis, including roughly two-dozen members of the bin Laden family, flew to Saudi Arabia that week without even being interviewed or interrogated by the FBI."

The key word being that week while not mentioning what day during that week which was on 9/11.
    What does this mean if anything?

2. Sep 4, 2003 #2 of 76
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Why don't you ask dubbya?

3. Sep 4, 2003 #3 of 76
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    What do you think's "up with this"? Bush family ties with the Saudis AND THE BIN LADEN'S go back at least three decades and are well documented and known everywhere but in the US. These ties extend to many prominent members of the Bush administration including Cheney and Rumsfield. They were allowed to "escape" because they are Bush's partners and might have "tales to tell out of school" if they weren't taken care of immediately.

4. Sep 4, 2003 #4 of 76
    Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    Jonstad:

But they were allowed to leave when the airspace was closed and what makes the Laden's any different than any CEO or company that were not allowed to fly?

5. Sep 4, 2003 #5 of 76
    James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Presidental approval gets much done.

6. Sep 4, 2003 #6 of 76
    lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Well, I'm often a critic of the Bush Administration, but in this case, I don't think we have the full story yet. We need more details before passing judgement. This is serious stuff and probably only would have been approved with a national security interest in play.

7. Sep 4, 2003 #7 of 76
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think you can easily find the answer for why this happened in the 24 page section on Saudi involvement in the 9/11 report recently released. Well, you could if those 24 pages weren't blank.

8. Sep 4, 2003 #8 of 76
    Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    lee635:

"Well, I'm often a critic of the Bush Administration, but in this case, I don't think we have the full story yet."

This was the only jet allowed to fly in the air (and leave the country) during 9/11 other than military aircraft so that's the full story. The only question is why?

"This is serious stuff and probably only would have been approved with a national security interest in play."

So is the interest just a business deal or something more sinister? The “whacko’s” were talking about this early on but these mainstream news articles make them look like that they may have known something. My question is did Bush let Osama go free in Afghanistan as well along with the Laden’s here?

We got the best military in the world along with technology so Osama should have been found by now IMO. Along with sodomite (nick name) Hussein.

9. Sep 4, 2003 #9 of 76
    waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Much of it had to do with the Bin Laden family and the Saudis being targets of reprisals in the aftermath of the event and getting them out of the country would prevent that and avoid a tremendous foreign affairs flap with Saudi Arabia at the wrong time which we didn't need within days of the towers going down.

10. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This was the only jet allowed to fly in the air (and leave the country) during 9/11 other than military aircraft so that's the full story.

Please support your claim or stop making broad generalizations without factual basis. Nowhere is the date given for the flight. Airports (except Dulles and Reagan) were back in business on 9/13. Planes diverted on 9/11 were able to fly to their original destinations on 9/12.

The articles only states that the Saudi Ambassador met with Bush on 9/13. Colin Powell announced that Osama bin Laden was the primary suspect on 9/13. My guess is the flight was allowed just prior to this to allow the "good" Saudi's time to leave the country before a mob took them out. Being diplomats, we had no authority to hold or question them prior to leaving as the Patriot Act was still just a dream in Ashcroft's eye.

Sounds to me like someone is making a big deal out of nothing.

We got the best military in the world along with technology so Osama should have been found by now IMO.

I can tell you have never been in the military have you. The militaries job isn't to track down a specific person... its to blow things up.

11. Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    Danny R wrote:

"Please support your claim or stop making broad generalizations without factual basis."

Did the Laden Jet leave from Florida on 9/11 or did it not? If you don't believe it then so what?
    Who the hell are you? If you missed the story from two years ago then too bad for you for being in the dark. I'm not going to bust my butt to find stories that are over two years old to please you. Look them up for yourself.

"Airports (except Dulles and Reagan) were back in business on 9/13."

Well that's off-topic since we're talking about when the airspace was closed. You don't know what you're talking about.

Look at what the news reported: "THE United States allowed members of Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11, even as American airspace was closed."

The key being while the airspace was closed which was on 9/11 or 9/12 since you stated it was all up and running on 9/13.

The other story stated:
    "Former White House counter terrorism expert Richard Clarke told Vanity Fair the Bush administration decided to allow a group of Saudis to fly out of U.S. airspace just after Sept. 11-- a time when access to the United States was still restricted and required special government approval."

Just after 9/11 which means anytime after 10AM on 9/11.

"THE United States allowed members of Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11, even as American airspace was closed"

Logic would tell you that this had to happen between 9/11 or 9/12 at the latest. And you think you you're cute by saying "Please support your claim or stop making broad generalizations without factual basis".

Get a clue Danny before you speak. :rolleyes: Just because you're ignorant about facts doesn't mean the rest of us are as well.

"Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11"

What does "immediate aftermath" mean Danny? I'll tell you what it means. The jet left from Florida on 9/11 whether you want to believe it or not.

12. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    If they talked about it on 9/13 how could they have left on 9/11?

13. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    This is a weird story. Seems like it is incomplete. A search using Google News shows all the articles pretty much say the same thing and fail to give exact dates. :shrug:

14. Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    Read the fine print:

"Members of Osama bin Laden's family were allowed to fly out of the US shortly after the September 11 terror attacks, a senior official has said."

Shorty after? Like within an half-hour?

Duh! "Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi ambassador to the US who is said to have organised the exodus, met President George Bush on September 13, 2001, two days after the terror attacks. "

This guy wasn't on the jet, James.

15. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Or do you mean read between the lines? Shortly doesn't mean anything because there is no baseline in the article to go off of. We have a start date, but no end date. Shortly could be a week too. :shrug:
    I didn't say he was, but how could he get a dubbya approval before he had the meeting?

16. Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    James:

"A search using Google News shows all the articles pretty much say the same thing and fail to give exact dates."

It was on 9/11.

If you don't believe me then the news stated ""THE United States allowed members of Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11, even as American airspace was closed"

It was on 9/11 but some skeptics can't go beyond 9/12 since the airspace was closed when they left. The reason they don't give a date is because the people would want to know why this happened and what was going on.

I'd say more but you'd never believe it. :(

17. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't see anywhere in those articles where it specifically says the plane left on 9/11. Please say more, but show me backup. Believe me I don't doubt dubbya didn't do something like this, but I can't believe it until I see proof. None of those articles say what you are quoting.

I see this quote.
    But immediate aftermath might also mean 9/13 could it not?

18. Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    "We have a start date, but no end date"

Yes we do!

""THE United States allowed members of Osama bin Laden’s family to jet out of the US in the immediate aftermath of September 11, even as American airspace was closed."

The air was only closed during 9/11 and 9/12 so ther you have it.

19. Hack

Hack Mentor/Supporter

Aug 14, 2003
    "I don't see anywhere in those articles where it specifically says the plane left on 9/11."

I'm saying that according to news I've heard over two years ago. They didn’t say that the jet didn’t leave on 9/11 either so you’re taking me to task when you know nothing on your end.
    The facts are that it left on 9/12 at the latest since the airspace was closed but I'm telling you the way it is.

They departed from Florida.

20. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    So you really don't know then? You first said, 9/11 and now 9/12. Just show me a quote where this is proven and I'll be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.