1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black screen of death

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joemmcg, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    I've had the new software for my two r-15 300's since Jan24 with very positive results until watching recording of NCIS from last week this evening. Locked up with frozen screen at about 29 minutes into program; could here audio but no video, just frozen picture at that point. Tried to FF to end and restart, RBR, pull plug reset, unplug/replug to no avail, would replay but freeze at exact point.

Did not delete in case anyone has any other ideas.

We were excited and thought the new software had solved most problems with the exception of new FF2X looping; but I guess we were premature in our excitement.

Any additional thoughts to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

2. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I had a similar problem watcing HBO's Rome last week, except the audio also stoped.

It's not a fix, but try holding the slip button to get to ~ 30 seconds from the end. Then RW to just after the problem area. Don't back up to far or it'll stick again.

3. rlambert7

rlambert7 Godfather

Feb 7, 2006
    That, frozen video and audio, happened to me while watching live TV about a week ago. It happened about 4 minutes from the end. Absolutely no function would work. I had to reboot. By the time it was done rebooting, I had missed the end of the show.

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Are any of your calling DTV to complain? We ain't the HR20. We don't get updates. We can keep complaining here but in my mind, no one's listening. Earl, can you tell us otherwise?

5. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    Tried to utilize slip to just short of end to no avail either went all the way to end and couldn't get back or stopped at some point but with frozen screen no way to retreat other than going back to beginning.

Didn't find any solution for getting picture unfrozen; could hear audio but either frozen picture or black screen. Gave up and deleted entry; next occasion I'll try DTV but there usual solution is reformat and we are not willing to have all of our existing content deleted.

6. Palsgraf99

Palsgraf99 Mentor

Mar 16, 2006
    Georgia
    I had this same problem of frozen pic with audio still rolling while watching my recorded episode of 24 on 2/26. After a couple of minutes, the audio started getting choppy and then also quit. I tried to start the show over a couple times, and each time it would freeze at the same spot. I deleted the episode and watched it the next day on Fox's web site.

Later in the week, while watching Survivor (we recorded it and started watching it about half way through the live version), the box reset itself just before we got to the end of the show, at the same time the live version was ending and the recording was to stop. American Idol was being recorded at the same time. Both recordings were scheduled to stop at the same time. After the unprompted reboot, neither show was in the Playlist. Both had been lost.

A similar scenario happened again on Saturday while my wife was watching a prerecorded show while another show was being recorded. At the point where the recording of the other show stopped, the screen immediately went to live TV. The recorded show she had been watching was no longer listed in the Playlist, however the show that had just finished recording was in the Playlist. This happened twice, each time causing her to lose the prerecorded show she was watching, and each time the jump to live TV coincided with the ending of the other program that was being recorded. UPDATE: This "error" wasn't really an error. After reading some other posts, I realize that the deleted show was actually the oldest of six episodes of the program that was being recorded. However, the Keep at Most setting was set to 5 in the Series Link. The box was simply deleting the oldest episode to make a spot for the sixth one it had either just finished recording or was about to record, as there was a marathon in progress, and my wife was five episodes behind in viewing them.

I did a RBR this morning. I have not had a chance yet to test it to see if the reset helps. Any input would be appreciated.

Chad
    R15-500/10FA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.