1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blacked out of OAK/SF on MLB Network... in Chicago!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by metallo, Mar 28, 2011.

1. metallo

metallo AllStar

Oct 13, 2009
    I wanted to watch a little bit of the A's/Giants game from San Francisco tonight on MLB Network. I'm in the Chicago area (zip 60565) and was blacked out. I was also blacked out of another Giants spring training game on MLBN a few weeks ago.

Called DirecTV the last time this happened and they **actually admitted it was a mistake**, since I was not in the local broadcast market of either team, but clearly the issue was never resolved, since it has happened again. I also called my Dad who lives a few hours south of me, and he is not blacked out of the game.

Anyone have similar problems? Any ideas about why this might be happening? I watch a lot of baseball and will definitely want to watch a few Giants games on MLBN and MLB EI this season!

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Game is on here in Maryland on MLB network and csn bay area.

Interestingly, the game is delayed on MLB. Is it possible whatever was on earlier caused your blackout?

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    i would call and have them credit you money or something.

4. metallo

metallo AllStar

Oct 13, 2009
    I got $10 off for 6 months last time I called when they admitted it shouldn't have been blacked out. The CSR I talked to tonight said he had no explanation as to why it was blacked out, but in his words, "anytime a game is blacked out, there's a reason, but we just don't always know what that reason is -- only the FCC does." :rolleyes:

He also said he talked to 6 different people, including his supervisor and manager, and they gave him 6 different possible explanations. It's sad that a company can't explain why they aren't providing you a service that you're paying for.

5. metallo

metallo AllStar

Oct 13, 2009
    That's a good thought and something that I considered, but not the case tonight.

6. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    The Cubs and White Sox are considered local teams for me and MLB Network is blacked out here right now. There was a legitimate blackout earlier today for the White Sox game at 4 PM ET. I wonder if they never properly lifted that blackout. Metallo, were you able to watch any MLB Network programming after the White Sox game ended?

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    blame the MLB for there rules.

8. metallo

metallo AllStar

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes, it was definitely lifted after the Sox game.

9. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    only reason it was blacked out is because csn chicago did that game. same thign happen when CSN philly did the phillies game. but last week. phillies v rays were on FS Florida and not on any philly station and mlb did the game no blackout.

10. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010

Would getting new cards or boxes help, I hope there isnt a something on your reciever or card that's causign the issue.

i always wondered, when people return equipment, directv cleans them and fixes them backup to be sold again for new custoemrs.

what are the odds, that someone turned in a reciever from the bay area, it then was returned. Directv had it cleaned/ fixed and then it makes it's way to chicago or any market and someone now has that receiever. But then directv didn't do a great job cleaning it and while in a new market, some settings from its previous location is still in it causing hell.

Probably what I typed above is stupid , but I'm trying to think of a way on how your blacked out in chi fora sf game.

11. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    No games should be blacked out during Spring Training, no matter what the reason.

12. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Neither should greatest games, magazine shows, etc. But they are. :confused:

13. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    mlb network blacked out or showed other programming during 6 phillies games they did. because CSN/ TCN were doing the game, i had the channels so i was able to watch but for those in the philly market were blacked out.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It was a great game!

15. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    i think they play again thsi time in oakland

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    All pre season games should be on and free.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Aren't they all blacked out on your system?

FWIW, I think the only blackout is supposed to be when your local team is doing the broadcast and it or the other team's feed is on MLB Network which results in the blackout of MLB Network.

I have yet to see a blackout for me except once in that case.

The other blackouts are errors.

18. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I noticed one preseason game with a five dollar price next to it last night. I was not aware that these games were ever offered in that way.

19. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    That was probably a PPV movie, and not a preseason game.

20. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    lol 5 bucks for a preseson game lol