1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blacked out on DISH but not cable??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Steeloc15, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    So here in Wichita we are supposed to get most of the OKC Thunder games on FSN KC (FSN MW). Since Dish does not carry FSN KC I assumed the games would be shown on one of the alternate channels. Sunday's Thunder game is being shown on the FSN channel that COX provides and I found it on DISH channels 444 and 445, (one of which I assume is the FSN KC feed) but when I try to set it to record I get the "this program is not available for viewing in your area" message. I feel like this is a mistake on Dish's part since I have been told by the Thunder's broadcasting department that the game would be on FSN in my area and the listings for COX confirm. I think Dish needs to add Wichita to the list of OKC Thunder markets or something...

Is this a mistake like I think? How do I get Dish to fix it?

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    One of them should work for you if you are truly in their area. Did you call them to check?

3. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    The area was recently expanded with the Thunder's TV contract. Calling or chatting with Dish gets me no where b/c all I can get are the canned answers that state what channel the game is on. I understand that they do no pick what to blackout and what not to, but I also understand as the gatekeeper they can make a mistake and black out things that shouldn't be.

If you check the FSN MW listings on the website for Kansas (not Kansas City) it shows that the game should be on. (http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/pages/tvlistings_kansas) Also if you check the listings for the local cable company (COX) they are showing the game on FSN. I also e-mailed the fan advocate for the Thunder who checked with the broadcasting dept and said that Thunder games are available on FSN in the Wichita market. I still firmly believe that dish has made a mistake with this and just wish I knew how to get a hold of someone who would understand what I am trying to explain to them and give me an answer that actually addresses what I saying.

Getting frustrated with Dish and cable is looking better every day...

4. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    go to atdhe.net and watch them online until Dish gets their sh*t together

5. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Boy, that'll teach 'em. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll get the understanding and care you crave from your cable company. lol

6. Nov 1, 2010 #6 of 10
    Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    It's not about teaching anyone anything... It's about getting access to games that I am supposed to have access to and with COX I will.

7. Nov 1, 2010 #7 of 10
    CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    I feel you there... Maybe try emailing ceo@dishnetwork.com as an escalation. It's not actually charlie but it is monitored by a higher level employee than those csr

8. Nov 1, 2010 #8 of 10
    Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    Yeah, I emailed a normal CSR and got a canned reply about FSN being restored to Dish, illustrating that they do not read the emails (or they don't understand.) I did email ceo as well so we'll see what kind of reply I get...

It is just frustrating thinking that if I had a different service provider I would have the games but with Dish I don't... I wish I could get a clear answer on this somehow...

9. Nov 1, 2010 #9 of 10
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    "Normal" CSR's know practically nothing. All they know is what's on the script and can be almost anywhere, and have no clue as to what you are talking about.

10. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    Exactly... How do I get a hold of someone who would understand?

I think what Dish is missing at this point is that sometimes FSN OK (a sub-feed of FSN SW) sometimes (like during many of the Thunder games) allows portions of the FSN MW viewing area to access it's stream... This is seamless on cable b/c the provider simply switches the stream, but on Dish the customer has to be given access to the stream since they would access it directly.