1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackout Lies?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by steveo11, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveo11

steveo11 New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am considering becoming a new customer to DirectTV but I was hoping someone could help me out with a couple questions. I am living in northern Florida (Gainesville) but am a huge Arizona fan (college & pro), which most of their games are televised on FSN Arizona, which of course is available if you sign up for the sports pack. However, I've heard that 100% of professional games and 40+% of collegiate games are blacked out on regional sports networks. I called DirectTV and spoke with one of their reps who disspelled these rumors, saying that only local games that dont sell out will be blacked out; I also read the blackout page on the DirectTV website, which seems to disspell these rumors also. Can anyone shed some light here? Anyone had similar problems with the majority of their teams games being blacked out when they are located in a different region? Would I have better luck with a competitor (DISH, cable)? Thanks in advance.

2. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    They'll probably be blacked out unless you subscribe additionally to the appropriate sports subscription packages to get the out-of-market games. The games NOT blacked out would only come from your local RSNs (regional sports networks). Since Arizona is not your local area/team, these games would probably be blacked out to you on that channel (but they might be available on Sunday Ticket/ESPN Game Plan, etc.); the game might also be available if shown nationally (e.g. ESPN, ESPN2 or one of the local regional games on CBS/ABC). You need to research the college sports plans to see what games/teams they carry as they also tend to favor certain teams/leagues.

3. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Sure would be nice of CSR's knew what they were talking about. steveo11, i'm a little confused about your location, are you in Florida or Arizona? Under your location, it says Arizona, however, you write that you are in Florida.

If you are in Florida, the only pro sports you will receive will be the Florida pro teams that are available on your local RSN's (Sun Sports & FSN Florida). In Florida, the only way to ensure you see the Arizona pro teams is through the respective PPV packages (Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, etc.) College wise, you'll be needing ESPN GamePlan to receive Pac 10 football games that are televised on ABC. I have the sports pack and most times, the college broadcasts on FSN Arizona isn't blacked out where I live.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you live in Florida then any professional sports on any sports channel other then your RSN will be blacked out. Same on Dish network as well. It's how the sports leagues want it. Sports Pack on D* is useless in terms of getting games on RSN's that aren't yours. The leagues want you to buy their premium sports packages (Extra Innings, Center Ice, etc)

The CSR was correct on what they said about blackouts....for *your* RSN. But not for other RSNs.

Put your zip code in here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

If it's not listed here, you're blacked out. Period. Unless you have the premium sports package (EI, CI, etc).

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The way it was explained to me once upon a time is that the RSN feeds are provided ONLY to the local markets of the teams that are competing.

The broadcast rights outside of the competitors' markets are owned by the appropriate subscription packages (e.g. MLB Extra Innings, ESPN Game Plan or NBA League Pass) and will be blacked out on RSN feeds to distant markets in favor of the sports subscription package.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    That is a good way to explain it.

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Not really...the reference to games not being sold out was entirely irrelevant.

As others have mentioned, you need to purchase the relevant "league pass" to see any pro sports besides your local RSNs.

For college, you will see some games with the sports pack...but more and more, agreements with conferences are resulting in games being blacked out for those not in the conference region. I don't think that the PAC-10 has been one of those who do this, though I'm not 100% sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.