1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackouts for college football

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jonredraider, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonredraider

jonredraider New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I have tried finding the answer to this in clear terms but no luck yet so hopefully someone here can help out.

I just god direct TV and I have the sports pack. I live in the Washington DC area (so my RSN is comcast sports net - yuck btw). I am hoping to see a few Texas Tech football games that are scheduled to appear on Fox Sports Southwest) in regional converage time slots) but wondered if it is LIKELY that these will be blacked out? I am just really confused how the rules work.

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Technically, the only games blacked out on RSN's are the ones linked to ESPN GamePlan. Since the FSN agreement is only for FOX and their RSN's, you should not be blacked out. I am not guaranteeing anything, but I am 99 percent sure you are safe.

3. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Most of the "big" conferences games are on ESPN GamePlan and are blacked out.

If you don't want to pay the full $99 for the season, and a Texas Tech game is blacked out, you can get just that weekend GamePlan games for around $12.

4. jonredraider

jonredraider New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Most Tex Tech games are not the "big" games in our conference. Usually thats OU and A&M and UT, so historically Tech is on Fox regional (if anything). Thanks for the replies so far!

5. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Texas Tech games are likely to be shown in four ways:

1. ABC regional telecast. Doubtful any of these would be shown in D.C. (you'll mainly get ACC games there). ESPN GamePlan will get you these games.
    2. FSN telecast. This could be a regional telecast (Fox Southwest only) or a national telecast (most FSNs - there are always a few that don't pick up a certain game due to scheduling conflicts). None of these should be blacked out.
    3. TBS. TBS is now picking up one game a week (Big 12 or Pac 10). Not blacked out.
    4. PPV. Some Big 12 teams (Nebraska, Texas) show a few games per year on PPV. Not sure if Texas Tech does this or not. These PPVs are *not* usually part of GamePlan, so you get to fork over $29.95 or so for any of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.