1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackouts- Have they out lived their usefulness?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Chris Blount, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmmm.... the salary structure and the ticket prices were also probably a lot lower in the 60s than they are now.

However, there have also been complaints as to how the stations have handled the out-of-market games and how it has caused complaints with subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket.

3. oblio98

oblio98 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 17, 2002
    Blackouts are the most annoying thing about "modern" TV. If we pay, we should see.

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I like the sweeping history, but I can't follow along some with the conclusions:

At worst, here "gravy" means "additional profit". A properly run business, such as a good sports team, should maximize profit.

The idea that attendance is not entirely based on team success neither supports nor refutes the notion that some folks would not buy game tickets if they could watch the game on TV.

In a chunk too big to quote, he suggests that the added ticket and concession revenue of extra fans in the stands would be offset by increased TV revenue if the game were telecast. However, as he mentioned earlier, the regular-season TV money gets split evenly, so each local team would get only a tiny slice of any extra broadcast revenues. and equal slices would go to those teams that already pack the stands. Besides, the argument would require reworking the TV contract, somehow bringing in extra money from the networks in exchange for lifting this blackout restriction.

Finally, I'm most sensitive to his question:
    Except that (a) fans are already guaranteed to have at least half of their teams' games available, and (b) under the current blackout rules, NFL fandom has grown to the point of making it the most popular sport in America.

Blackouts are no fun, but I don't think viewers have a right to watch every local game on TV for free.

5. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I agree with a previous poster. If we pay for the subscription then we should have every game available.