1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackouts lifted for Cards games, not on E*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Satelliteracer, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    As I mentioned the other day, comparing cable to E* to D* in each market is not appropriate, there are so many agreements and the rules are different from league to league, etc.

I know it "sounds easy", but it is incredibly complex because of all the various RSNs involved and various territories (which have sub territories).

At any rate, an interesting article today

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/sports/stories/112111.asp

2. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    I am so confused. I get FSN Midwest on channel 647 and have seen all of the games broadcast on there. So what does this mean?

3. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    The blackout applied to states that surrounded Missouri. Where I live, I get FSN Midwest through the sports pack, FSN Midwest wanted their programming moved from the sports pack to the basic packages and until that happened, FSN Midwest requested that D* blackout the Cardnails games in my area.

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Are you sure they actually HAVE moved FSM into the basic pkg - the article only says "confirmed that the network is working on a resolution with DirecTV", so I am NOT sure this means this has been done; only that people that USED to gets the Cards in their territories can do so again. ;) ;)

5. wmschultz

Jul 18, 2006
    Yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks. I had to go to D* website to see what the big deal was. As soon as I
    used a surrounding area's zipcode, I saw what the article is talking about.

6. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Don't know as I already have the sports pack.

7. wmschultz

Jul 18, 2006
    So was this why D* wasn't offering FSN Midwest HD to us, too? Or is that something different?

8. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    I think it means people living in Central & Western Illinois will be considered "in-market" for Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, AND NOW the St. Louis Cardinals too .... meaning they won't be blacked out from any of those teams and PROBABLY won't need MLB-EI to see any of those games (aka: part of their basic package).

You live in Missouri so you were in the Cardinals market the whole time.
    You won't be affected.

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    We never DID need MLB-EI to see these games - & it would NOT have done any good to have. (EI is for OOM games; the Cards are considered in-market for us)

Maybe you really meant to say the Sport Pak, which is what we DO (currently) need to see the Cards on FSM. ;) ;)

10. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    ahhh

11. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    That's the boat i'm in with the Cardnails, Twins, & Brewers.

12. bralph

bralph Mentor

Apr 3, 2007
    Can I take this as a good omen for the similar situation with Fox Sports Detroit and Tigers games in Northwest Ohio?

13. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Me too. I would like to see Directv offer more of FSN Midwest programming in HD. They have 37 games this year in HD.

14. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    D* would love to offer more FSN Midwest programming to you in HD. Its FSN Midwest thats only putting out those 37 games. D* is only transmitting to you what FSN Midwest puts out HD wise.

15. wmschultz

Jul 18, 2006
    No, they are not. We don't really get FSN Midwest HD feeds.
    The first game this year was a real surprise. That has been it though.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2300004

Doesn't appear that Fox Sports Midwest is on the list. IF FSMW is pulling this kind of stunt I can probably understand why there isn't an HD agreement.

However, if they do have one and the web site just isn't updated, you'll find the HD games on channel 96 or 97. They are in MPEG4 and you'd need an H20 or HR20 to get them.

17. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    No they don't. We will be lucky if they only broadcast 1/3 of them. I am saying I wish D* would broadcast all of them.

18. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    When D* does broadcast FSN Midwest HD it is on channel 95. Maybe Satelliteracer can answer this question. Is the problem with FSN Midwest not having an HD agreement with D* or is it just a capacity problem?

19. pedro4868

pedro4868 AllStar

Jan 31, 2007
    I've wanted to know the same darn thing for a while now. I don't think it would take that much bandwith for D* to add fsn mw in hd for the st. louis area.

20. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I wonder if they have room to put it on the MPEG4 spot beam that we get our locals on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.