1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank recordings on HR-34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by james2006, Nov 22, 2012.

1. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    I thought missed recordings on the HR-34 were a thing of the past, but I returned to my parent's house last night and found that the Lakers was not recorded. It showed up in the playlist but the entire recording was a black screen. I tried to watch the game on another DVR, and also tried restarting the HR-34, but neither helped. My parents tell me that they have missed a couple of football games and one regular show with similar blank recordings.

Is this an issue that others are seeing on the current national release?

Thanks

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If it recorded a full 2 hours or more and its blank with no audio, might be an HDCP issue. How is the HR34 connected to the TV? What kind of TV?

3. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    HR-34 is connected via HDMI to Marantz AV receiver to Samsung TV. Recordings off the same channel have worked before and there are no issues with 99% of the recordings

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What channel was that Laker's game on? Is it a channel they receive, or was the game blacked out in their area?

5. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    Lakers game was on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet; they are in the Lakers territory and are able to watch live games on the channel.

Also, I am thinking it is not an HDCP issue, b/c that would have been solved by watching the game on another DVR via MRV.

I guess my last question is whether this is something that I should contact Directv about. It is very frustrating for my dad to record Sunday Ticket games only to have a blank screen when he comes back to watch them. I had assumed he was accidentally recording games on the 700's that should have been recorded on his locals, but he assured me this was not the case - and now I am starting to believe him. For the time being I have told him to record sporting events on one of the other DVRs in the house - a solution, but not a perfect one.

6. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I bet it was blocked

7. james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    Is a full blank recording (that can be fastforwarded etc) consistent with a program that is blacked out? I thought when something was blacked out you got a message to that effect on your screen (e.g. this program is not available in your area).

8. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    It has happened to me at least twice on the last two NR. There have been others that have reported this happening as well. It seems to occur when you are tuned to the channel you are wanting to record. Check the last two Issues threads on the HR34. I had a totally unwatchable recording of the Chiefs game (3 1/2hrs) yesterday, but don't know if it was local issue or not, or related to the blank recordings issue happening.