1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown LNB???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tegage, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    In hooking up the new 942 I got for X-mas I fear I might have blown my LNB. Since the 942 can record HD OTA content, I diplexed my OTA signal (from rooftop antenna) to the cable going to my 942 (this cable used to service a 625). I have a Dish Pro Plus LNB, so I ran the combined signal back through a diplexer at the TV side and then through the DISH splitter.

After not being able to run a successful switch test, I check my 6000 (on my other TV) and it had lost many channels. Tried to run a switch check on the 6000, no luck. Called DISH tech service, no luck.

I then went back to the mass of cable that comes into my house and realized that I had plugged my 12 volt OTA signal amplifier directly into my OTA distribution block, instead of the signal amplifier itself. (Ironically, one of the books I got for x-mas was the Darwin Awards:( Maybe I'll get an honerable mention). So I figure I must have blown the DISH Pro Plus LNB. Before I purchase another one (it will be interesting trying to find one locally tomorrow), can a LNB be blown this way? Is it possible I have a different problem? (BTW - I had good reception right up to the point of making the changes)

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Reconnect everything as it was originally without the Diplexors. Pull the power plugs on the receivers for 30 seconds. Replug them in and see what works.

Note: If at all possible do not diplex OTA with satellite. It will cost you signal level on both paths.

3. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    That's the first thing I did last night. Tried again this morning. No luck.

I hear you, but I need to wait until the spring. At that time, I plan to move my rooftop antenna and run a separate line to back of this TV.

4. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    Well, after cycling my receivers and running switch tests a half a dozen times, I turned on my 6000 receiver to see if I could still watch my OTA locals and low and behold, all the satellite stations worked. Ran a switch test, and everything checked out. I then reconnected the 942, successfully ran a switch check and now it works as well.

I'm not sure what has changed, but I am glad it works. Maybe Santa hit the dish with his sleigh and sent an Elf back this morning to fix it!

5. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    Well, since I had everything working again, I decided to try to dixplex the OTA signal again. I unplugged both receivers, made the changes, turned everything back on and the switch test fails again. On both receivers. I'm at a loss to figure out what is going on. This dish has worked flawlessly for 3+ years. I have used a diplexer with my 625 for 6 months now without issue - although the signal was going out from the 625 to my exercise room TV, not in from my antenna as I have it configured now (new HDTV in living room).

Right now, I can get the channels on 119, but not on 110. The OTA channels work very well. I can tune in stations with the 942 that the 6000 doesn't receive.

When I had both satellites, signal strength on 119 was 92 and on 110 in the 70s. We have had a lot of clouds and rain around here, so maybe it's a coincidence, but I have never had bad weather reception problems before. Also, I have separate lines for the OTA and satellite signals going to my 6000 and when my 942 can't lock on both satellites, either can the 6000.

Is it possible that I damaged the DPP when I connected the OTA amp wrong? Or does the fact that it has tuned in both satellites at times during day mean it is OK?

Any help would be appreciated as I am reluctant to buy a new DPP and crawl up on my snow and ice coated roof unless I have no choice.

6. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I am guessing here but my first thought is that the at least one of the diplexers you are trying to use to get your OTA may not be Dishpro compatible.

7. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    What constitutes a Dishpro compatible diplexor?

Also, if that's the case, I should be able to disconnect the cable going through the diplexor to the 942 and then the 6000 should work. I'll try that.

Thanks for the response

8. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    No, since your using a DPP LNB it must have a DishPro receiver connected to it for the 6000 to work. That's why they both quit working and not just the 942.

9. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    That makes sense. The Dish 6000 is older equipment.

I removed the diplexers, unplugged the 6000, cycled the power on the 942, but no luck. After running switch checks, I get a reception error on both satellite inputs. Satellite input 1 sees 119, but not 110 and thinks it's talking to a SW44. Satellite input 2 sees no satellites and thinks it's talking to a SW64. I have neither.

I'll try hooking the 625 back up tomorrow just to make sure it's not a faulty 942. If the 625 doesn't work, I'll go for a new DPP LNB.

10. tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    Problem resolved. It turns out the DPP LNB was bad. A new one fixed the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.