1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Blu-ray Disc Association says Dish, DirecTV Misleading Customers

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by paulman182, Sep 12, 2008.

1. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    "Underlining the conclusion that all high-definition television formats are not created equal, the Blu-ray Disc Association is insisting that the Dish and DirecTV home-satellite services are misleading customers when they claim that they deliver HD-quality pictures and sound equal to Blu-ray's."

More here: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0564270/

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't remember ever seeing any press release from DIRECTV claiming they had Blu-Ray quality. If anything it is a sin of omission; by claiming 1080p, they invite comparisons to Blu-Ray but do not explicitly note the differences in bitrates.

That, my friends, is marketing.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As Stuart noted, it's all Marketing .. The exact quote by DIRECTV is:

"... later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs."

Press Release

Blu-Ray uses the term "equal" and DIRECTV uses the term "same format." .. In any event, DIRECTV does not claim to have the same PQ as Blu-Ray.

4. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Ya beat me to it.

5. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    I would expect a response like that. They are simply trying to defend their $30 disks and $400 players. :rolleyes:

6. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    i don't think either company has said a word about the sound. at least, nothing i've read has.

7. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    Will that be 60 complete 1080p images per second from the satellite services? What does Blu-ray provide?

--- CHAS

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is very much a Pot vs Kettle situation, considering that Blu ray is defined rather well technically if you read the specs... but the marketing for Blu ray implies and entices viewers with things they may or may not get.

Not all Blu rays are the same quality encode, nor do they all include the best audio, nor are they all encoded at the highest possible bitrate.

So neither side here can claim innocence when it comes to marketing spin.

9. xxplayactionxx

xxplayactionxx New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    HDMe, exactly. At least DTV has a good picture quality as opposed to comcrap. I wonder what compcraps marketing liars will claim.