1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-ray Killer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by cmtar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3660

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    By the time this comes to market most media will have moved on from disc based media. :grin:

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Does anyone remember how many layers they got on a Blu-Ray disc in the lab? I remember it was something silly - like 10 or so.

Considering that a standard Blu-Ray can hold 5 DVDs (4.GB per DVD, 25GB per BR layer), and a sual-layer BR can hold 10 - if they come out with a 10-layer BR, that'll do half the storage of the GE TheoryDisc (my name, I'll be accepting royalties just as soon as my trademark is approved) without obsoleting one's collection.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    100 GB would easily hold a season or two of a television series.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't think I've heard about BD in labs, but I do recall someone (I think IBM) testing 20 layers on a DVD :)

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009

I already have.

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That would be nice. I've got an entire cabinet of DVDs for TV series, some lasting 10 seasons, that just take up SOOOOOO much room! No, I won't get rid of the boxes and get an accordion-type organizer - I like the boxes, even if they're bulky. Makes "browsing" easier. :p

9. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Wimp.

You don't recall when you could pick up one-two episodes on VHS take, and the season boxes were absolute monsters. No, I didn't collect those.

10. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    tell me about it...
    [​IMG]

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm almost there with you pfp... Those look like the same shelves that I have two of... and I have a run of DVDs across the top + am using another shelf on another bookshelf and have an older/smaller rack full of more DVDs too.

I have been thinning mine out a bit lately, though, some because of Blu ray upgrades and others because I realize I will not re-watch as much as I thought when I first bought them.

But I could go for having entire seasons on a single disc of shows I really like. That would also be cool for "shuffle play" to watch some random favorite episodes.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Good Gods PFP thats a lot of disks. Thank God I started my collection in Divx format, I have everything on two Hard Drives.

13. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Actually thats not even all of them. this rounds it all out.
    [​IMG]

14. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmmm.... I see both releases of Star Wars, TNG, DSN, Enterprise, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Total Recall, but no Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box, or Lord of the Rings?

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah, my library is definitely wimpy compared to those collections! I have only a couple hundred DVDs and a LONG way to go to measure up... :lol: