1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue light on HR22 - How to turn off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gator1234, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1 of 42
    gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    On the HR21 you push four times on both sides of the blue light and it goes out. This does not seem to work on the HR22. Anyone know how to turn this light off?

2. Oct 7, 2008 #2 of 42
    MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006

Masking tape does wonders. Also, it comes off fairly easily so you can return the unit to D* when you exchange the unit eventually.

Advantage of this is that each time unit is reset you don't have the "close encounters" experience until you kill the lights manually. :D

3. Oct 7, 2008 #3 of 42
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Just a question and not trying to be a wise guy. Why do people leave their units on when they aren't watching? There have been several threads over the year about dimming or turning off the blue lights when they aren't watching. Why do people leave the unit on? When it is off it still records programs, gets updates, gets locked up by D*(sorry couldn't resist today), etc. The only thing it doesn't do is show blue lights and you can't actually view stuff or change things. It starts up a lot faster than my TV does. So when I'm done watching I shut it off.
    What am I missing here? Thanks,

4. Oct 7, 2008 #4 of 42
    1999cobra

1999cobra AllStar

Jan 21, 2007
    I have an HR22 light goes out when i shut the unit off - huh...:confused:

5. Oct 7, 2008 #5 of 42
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    what if you're watching it late at night and lights bother wife?

6. Oct 7, 2008 #6 of 42
    MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing Legend

Mar 2, 2007

The wife is bothered by the blue light on the receiver but not the light and sound from the TV???? :confused: :lol:

7. Oct 7, 2008 #7 of 42
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    oddly enough, yes. the rotation of it bugs her.
    those lights get bright.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #8 of 42
    amawlin

amawlin Cool Member

Sep 16, 2008
    The blue light is annoying. It's way too bright and interferes with the image on the TV. We usually turn it off using the button method after it reboots. Not sure why, but last night it rebooted and the silly light woke up the wife (its in the bedroom). I think I'll add the masking tape. Thank you for the suggestion Mike.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 42
    bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    The blue light is bright! I like to turn the light off so I know when something happens. Rebooted both my HR20's yesterday and dimmed the light. Woke up this morning and my bedroom was aglow. Both units reset during the night. I haven't checked yet to see if it missed some recordings.

10. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    I have an HR22-100, and the light shuts off just as you described (the same way it shuts off on my HR21-100's). Maybe you didnt hit the buttons at the same time? Try it again - it should work. If not, can you confirm if it is a -100, -700, etc?

11. MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    I agree the blue lights are too bright, especially in a dark room. I turn off the lights on the receiver in the bedroom because of that. The receiver in the family room is well below the TV, so it doesn't cause any issues.

Maybe I just misunderstood by thinking your wife was attempting to sleep while you were watching TV, LOL.

12. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I can't speak for the OP or his HR22, but on my HR21-100 it is very difficult to turn off the blue ring. It works fine on my HR20-100, but the HR21 takes me about five minutes each time I try to do it. I end up bringing up all sorts of menus/whatnot on the screen because it doesn't recognize the two buttons being pushed at the same time. I still haven't figured out the pattern, whether one of the buttons is always slower than the other, or whether I need to hold them down longer (or shorter), or push them faster or whatever. It's pretty damn frustrating, but eventually I usually get it to work.

13. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for posting this. I read the manual that came with my HR22 and on page 5 #9 it says "Press & hold the left and right arrows to dim and turn off the lights". I pressed both buttons and held them and nothing happened. I thought as you held the buttons, it would gradually dim and then go off.

After reading all the posts, I now understand that you press both arrows at the same time for a second and then release them. Each time you do this, it dims a bit and after 4 times, it finally goes off.

14. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    It works on my HR22. I did notice that I had to push the buttons harder on the HR22 than I did on the HR20.

As for the lights themselves, put me on the "way too bright" list, too. I particularly hate them when we get an update overnight and the one in our bedroom lights up the room. We tend to leave the DVR on at night when we use the timer on the TV to shut off.

15. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    The ring is way too bright in my home theater. Up until 2 or 3 releases ago I would only have to reset the ring on a software update. Then we had a software release that started causing reboots about every other night on both my units and it's never gone back.

I'm sick to death of resetting the ring. It was a joke for a while with me and my kids, but now it's not funny anymore. I really want a configuration option to keep the damn ring turned off or at least persist the setting across a reboot. My wife wants the one in our bedroom moved out because of the ring after a reboot. Turning it off when I walk into our home theater is bad enough, but having to find the remote or get out of bed at 3 in the morning when it pops on is ridiculous.

I know this is minor compared to missed recordings, but D* should be trying to mitigate the impact of their buggy software that is causing so many restarts. I understand that off isn't much different than on in reality, but how many appliances persistently turn themselves on every night?

steve

16. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    We have an RF modulator attached to watch stuff in other rooms, and there is a good chance someone else wants to watch something somewhere else, which doesn't work if the unit is switched off.

17. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    You RF Modulate HD ?...please say it isn't so. :nono2:

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    When I dim my blue ring, I press and hold the left button, then press and release the right button four times. That turns it off every time.

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's what I do as well. ;)

20. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    No, just ordinary SD, but it does look pretty good anyway. Modulator is taking the composite outputs.

Sort of like poor man's MRV :)