1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluefield/beckley local channels on directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by natureboy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. natureboy

natureboy Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    What is the date for bluefiedl/beckley local channels on directv?

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Supposedly next Wed. But check out the Huntington/Charleston thread here for a possible backdoor to them. Worked for us so it might work for you.

3. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    The backdoor method hasn't been working for me here in Huntsville. I get the HD listing in Scoreguide and can go to the channel that has TEST in the banner, but I get "Searching for Satellite" once I go there. The channel logos even changed over to the CBS HD/ABC HD/NBC HD logos at the same time it did for you folks in WV, but the channels still aren't coming in.

I'm hoping that just means you all are getting a special preview on accident and not that things aren't ready for us.

4. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Actually what you are getting is normal. Back just before the HD channel launched from D*10, a user with access (Bschneider) posted pictures of the banners with the test designation, but there was no picture.

Also, remember we were supposed to launch on the 9th, so maybe they got put up for the launch and no one ever took them down.

5. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    Wow...I hadn't heard a THING about this. Is it/could it be true? We're gonna have locals on the bird?

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    23rd they will launch

7. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    OMG!!!

I'll believe it when I see it but this is as close as it gets I guess:)!

Thanks dude!

8. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    hey bamaweather, seeing the same thing on my HR-22/100's, lucky you have an AM-21, huh ;););)

9. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Haha! Indeed. I can't complain at all. The one thing I will enjoy is not having to put the -1 in if I want to get there manually. I don't have a hard time remembering, but my dad does. I always have to remind him that he's got it on the SD channel. I think I can survive a couple more days, though. :)

10. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Wow, a glimmer of hope for those of us in the Wheeling/Steubenville DMA; only 3 spots away from us at #159... :)

11. gib4500

gib4500 AllStar

Apr 11, 2004
    I'm glad directv is getting to some of the more rural areas with hd locals. I'm also in the wheeling wv dma. Does anyone have a word on how soon we can expect them. I keep telling people that ask me around here sometime during the beginning of next year i hope. I know the new satellite will help bring more locals, but i wonder if they actually have the bandwidth right now to add the wheeling locals? Congrats to the beckly market. Directv will surely add a lot of customers over this in that particular market. I know they'll add a lot of customers in my area when they add the locals.

12. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    I remember a post (on AVS Forum I believe) where someone posted a reply from WTOV in Steubenville that basically said that they are ready when D* is ready. The reply went on to make it sound like they had actually talked with D* but were told they didn't have the capacity. If I remember correctly the post was from earlier this year.

13. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    So...I'm I correct in presuming that the Beckley/Bluefield locals will be both SD and HD or just the SD channels?

14. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Actually, if I had to guess, it would be just the HD. I don't know if they have the bandwidth to put them up for legacy equipment, so if the HD quipment is going to be required, why bother with the SD version?

15. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    I know what you mean but the fact that it's even on a list, I mean...it's Beckley/Bluefield...you know?

I just figured they'd cheap out or at the very least, handle it the way we do here.

I have heard a rumor that WOAY is actually spending money on some really REALLY cool stuff and if it turns out to be the case, they won't look like crapolla much longer. Wouldn't that be a hoot:)!

16. natureboy

natureboy Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Hopefully wed will be a historical day in southern west virginia: it's about time.

17. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    So will I just get up tomorrow and see channels 4, 6, 9 and 59 in my non-OTA list?

Someone mentioned the Fox that's on 59-2...is that gonna be there as well?

18. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Just to update. The Scoreguide backdoor method IS working for me in Huntsville now, though the channels have been added to the guide yet. Exciting stuff. :D

19. bubba gump

bubba gump Cool Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Launch date for Bluefield--Beckley is 9-28-09 and this is the date CBS 59 has told me several times and rec'd email yesterday and locals will be live on the 28th and nothing about DishNetwork launch date.

20. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That's odd as they don't usually do launches on Mondays.