1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bogus caller IDs on new HR20-44 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kurmugn, May 17, 2014.

1. kurmugn

kurmugn New Member

May 17, 2014
    United States
    Just had a Directv HR20-44 Genie installed, along with a mini-Genie for the bedroom. Immediately, and while the tech was still here, the TV began displaying a bogus caller ID "UNIDENTIFIED". There was no corresponding ID showing on our phone, and the phone did not ring. While on the phone, more bogus IDs showed up with no notification of an incoming call on the phone. The tech saw these notifications, but professed ignorance of what could be causing this! Simply amazing, given the fact that this bug is a known problem with Directv! I have verified that the phone line is not plugged into the Ethernet connector.
    Just for the heck of it, I plugged a DSL Filter into the wall jack, and then plugged the TV phone cord into that filter. After one hour, the bogus messages have not appeared.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you use DSL, you need a filter on every phone line except the one going into the DSL modem. Directv techs aren't going to be trained on diagnosing DSL related issues. Since most people are dropping landlines, and hardly anyone connects a phone line to a set top anymore, and some use cable instead of DSL, he may have to do a lot of installs before he ever runs into this particular issue.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    How does one clear the caller ID on the HR-2X DVRs?

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    II assume that we are talking about the HR44, right?

Have you restarted the DVR?

5. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Menu > Extras > Caller ID > Call Log : Select each call and you get the option to Delete. No mass delete available.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Since I've never deleted one, I probably have a few thousand.. not gonna worry about it as deleting each one will take a long time using that method.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IIRC, the receiver will only hold 25 records.