1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boise State and TCU for the BCS Championship.

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by yosoyellobo, Nov 24, 2010.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Anybody else beside me rooting for this outcome. What I would really like is some sort of playoff and such a game might get us one.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No...both are overrated teams playing in extremely weak conferences.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl

If that is true then they should say at start of the season that non-bcs team are not eligible for the championship.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    works for me :p

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Lets also eliminate the Big East and ACC. Also about twenty-five of the bowl games.:)

6. stevenv

stevenv Hall Of Fame

Aug 3, 2004
    It will probably be Auburn vs. Oregon in the National Championship.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm not sure on this one! I have a strange feeling that Oregon may be going down this Friday. Given, Arizona has not been playing great ball lately but Arizona (over the years) has had a reputation for taking down highly ranked teams

8. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Boise is hands down the best team in the country....everyone uses the "strength of schedule" argument but no one WANTS to play them...and the "they couldn't win with an SEC schedule" argument is weak as well, because if they played in the SEC, they'd have an SEC budget, the SEC recruiting draw, etc. Its NCAA FBS College Football, there should be NO reason teams should be left out of winning the NCAA Championship because of the conference they are in.

If they're not gonna put the in the championship game against each other, put one against Oregon and one against Auburn....I'd put $$ on both Boise and TCU to win :contract::contract:

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm also confused...

Auburn is supposed to be so much better than Boise & TCU according to the experts... and yet a 2-loss Alabama team is favored by 5 points this weekend. Why does that make Auburn so good when a 2-loss team is expected to beat them?

I also hate the strength of schedule argument for two reasons.

1. Hard to get teams to schedule home-and-home with Boise & TCU.. someone already mentioned this.

2. A lot of the "big" teams play week out of conference schedules AND how do we know their conference is so good?

Consider...

In NCAA basketball teams play 30+ games, so we get a lot of outside conference play to judge the relative strength of each conference... and to some extent you can rank conferences based on that.

With a 12 game schedule, and usually only 4-5 non-conference games... it is really hard to gauge.

Consider...

Who has LSU beaten outside of the SEC that is any good?
    Who has Auburn beaten outside of the SEC that is any good?
    Who has Alabama beaten outside of the SEC that is any good?
    and so forth...

Much of the "strength" of the SEC has to do with how people decided to rank that conference before the season even started... and since there isn't a long list of great teams beaten by SEC teams outside their conference... the whole house of cards supporting their being a strong conference doesn't hold up.

James Madison beat Virginia Tech... that game (if Tech had won) wouldn't even count towards bowl-eligibility! And yet, I can guarantee you that if Boise or TCU had lost to James Madison they wouldn't even be sniffing the top 25, much less the top 15 like Virginia Tech is!

And Pittsburgh... not much above .500 overall, will win the Big East and be in a big time bowl game. Why?

Now for the surprise ending!

I don't want to see Boise play TCU for the championship because people will still say they aren't good enough to play against the "big" teams.

Last year... both were undefeated and played each other. They get ripped for not playing "tough" teams and then the BCS people who could have put them against other top teams pit them against each other and then keep ripping them for not playing anyone good!

I have seen Oregon, and Auburn, and Boise... I haven't seen TCU this year. I have a hard time distinguishing what I've seen on the field between those 3 undefeated teams that I have seen.

So now I find myself rooting for Oregon to lose... or Auburn to lose... possibly Auburn to lose twice... so Boise or TCU can get into a title game vs Oregon (or Auburn).

I hate doing that... because Oregon and Auburn are good teams too. NOT because they are in the Pac-10 (or whatever ##) or SEC.. but because they actually are good teams period. Same is true for Boise, and possibly TCU... and it's just a shame we can't get at least a 4 team (I prefer 8) playoff for seasons like this and see it on the field.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    +1. Hate the way its currently scored.

11. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm an Auburn fan but I too think Bosie should play for the Championship. They would give Auburn or Oregon all they wanted.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Yes, for the same reason, but I don't think even one of them will get in, much less both. The powers won't let it happen.

13. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    This is just another reason college football needs some type of playoff system. It's not going to happen, but it sure would be nice.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    TCU barely beat SDSU at home! So, you argue, "They beat Utah!" Yeah, the same Utah who got blasted by sorry Notre Dame.

Who's BSU beat? VT you say? VT got beat by freakin' James Madison! Who? Exactly.

BSU & TCU are good, very good. But, TCU wouldn't survive in the Big XII. And if they could, then why won't they join? There's 2 new vacancies with Colorado & Nebraska leaving. Utah had the guts to join the new Pac-10, why didn't BSU?

15. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    They can't just "join" another conference. They have to be invited....

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you hold everyone to the same scrutiny, you will find many schools in your "big" conferences who have only barely won against supposed "weak" competition.

And as I noted... many schools in the big conferences are only considered strong competition because of being in the conference, without any on-field performance to support it.

The blind-test works really well... Take random teams from any conference and compare their win/loss and other stats, and you find that once you remove the names of the schools, a lot of teams kind of look the same... and are only highly ranked because of familiarity.

As an ACC fan, for example... I was amazed when UNC basketball was pre-season top 10 this year... after a barely .500 record last season... and sure enough UNC is 1-2 this year and down to #25 somehow still ranked.

Football has the same problems... "familiar" schools get a benefit of the doubt, while others are told that they have to be exceptional.

When Auburn wins a close game against a team they should beat... the pundits say "That's what a good team does, win when they aren't playing their best"... but when TCU has a close win, the pundits say "See, it shows TCU isn't as good as we thought because they should have won by more"...

Then we see people complain about a team like Wisconsin running up the score for 83 points... but they tell Boise that they need to win every game by 50 to be considered good.

It's just crazy.

17. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Boise who? Fun to watch, just not in the BCS Championship game.

18. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    After Auburn came back to beat Alabama I just knew that Boise would lost.:(

19. larry55

larry55 Legend

Jun 3, 2010
    boise never play for the national championship.you can stick a fort in them they done.

20. vikefan

vikefan Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    I second that along with most of the nation. College basketball has the best post season. Why can't football just add one extra playoff weekend? It's a win for everyone! It's 2010, change is ok sometimes. It's not a big change just one weekend. Come on just do it.