1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOO! No OTA on TV2 while in Dual Mode!

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by 65notch, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 65notch

65notch Mentor

Feb 15, 2006
    What gives with this?

2. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

Same way on 942. The only way to watch OTA on TV2 in dual mode is to set it to record first.

3. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    yeah OTA is stuck to TV1 in dual mode as a 2nd Tv1 tuner. guessing they figured the 2nd Tv wouldn't need HD :)

4. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Ok, that confirms that I keep my 508 as a 2nd internally distributed signal. It just means I have to explain to the wife why she might need two remotes when watching in another room.

..Doyle

5. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    If you subscribe to locals from Dish they will still show up on TV2, the only channels that won't are your Digital OTA stations from your antenna on the roof. I assume you are getting the SD Dish locals today on your 508? Or are you passing an analog OTA signal through the 508 when it's in standby?

6. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    Have you combined your OTA signal with your TV2 Out line? Works fine for me, Satellite viewing on channel 60, all OTA signals where they should be.

7. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    you did set up TV1 with a UHF channel yes? then your OTA channels would be on TV2 on the TV1 UHF channel

8. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    No, when someone using TV2 tries to view an OTA channel, a message pops up saying something to the extent it can only happen on TV1

9. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    right, you misunderstood, and I am presuming you are using the COAX distribution feature. You set both TV1 and TV2 to different UHF channels, then tune the far TV to the channel for TV 1 or TV 2. When you are watching TV1 from the other room, you'd have access to OTA just as if you were in the main room. of course, if someone is 'watching' TV on TV1, it would change their picture, haha

the TV2 output can't view the OTA tuner live, only something it's recorded. But the TV1 signal would be able to if you did set it up

10. 65notch

65notch Mentor

Feb 15, 2006
    All that being said, I thought I saw on a post that the HDMI and Component outputs were active at the same time?

Does that mean I can run components to my bedroom and get HD in there, while on Tuner 1? I understand I'd be sharing the signal.

And is ~20ft too long to expect good/decent HD signals from component cables?

11. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Yes, both are active and yes you'd be sharing the signal.

12. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    My 622 is still sitting in the box in my theater room. Install scheduled for next Tuesday AM so I haven't played with it yet. I will likely get it into position in the equipment rack this weekend. I have the rest of the house setup for distribution on Coax and am already using some frequency agile modulators so having access to both TV1 and TV2 along with the 508 on another modulator should be just fine.

The wife and I did run into a problem last year when I was watching 24 downstairs and she wanted to watch HGTV upstairs and we both had remotes that were changing channels back and forth. Really messed up that episode of 24 before I could tell her what the problem was.

..Doyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.