1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Boolean Autorecord wrong channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vega, Apr 11, 2009.

1. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    I have a boolean search

Sprint NNOT Practice Qualifying

it is set to auto record hidef. When looking at the todo list, it always wants to record on channels I do not get. I use a favorites list, and those channels are not there, but it insists on using unavailable channels anyway.

ie I do not get the national network feeds in my area, but if the race is on Fox, it insists on using 88 Fox East, and nothing will make it use a different station.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you know which channel you want to use, the CCHAN Boolean term will limit the selection to that.

3. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    unfortunately both the Sprint Cup and The Nationwide Series races are broadcast on different channels through the season.

4. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In spite of what TO DO says, is the HR actually recording the wrong channel? If so, that's a bug you should report. At the time of recording, GAMESEARCH is supposed to automatically find that event on a channel you do get.

As a workaround, if you can't contain the channels within a "range" of channels (CCHAN 80-90, e.g.), the only other advice I can give is to set up separate AUTORECORDS, each one specifying a different channel.

Unfortunately, you're a victim of one of our longest-standing Wish List requests:

Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in SEARCH results.

One theory is that the DirecTV marketing folks want you to see channels you don't get, as a tease to subscribe to a more expensive package. /steve

5. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    I've been using AUTORECORD, but it's problem means I have to check weekly, to be sure which channel the race is broadcast on. ESPN has a habit of changing which station they broadcast Nascar on for the Nationwide Series. The Sprint Cup to date has been on Fox. This all changes mid season as ABC and TNT pick up Nascar.

I'll have to check with my neighbor and see how his DN handles this.

6. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    What I'm curious about is in spite of what the TO DO LIST says it's going to do, what is actually happening? The GAMESEARCH feature doesn't "kick-in" until the recording actually tries to start. /steve

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    So what channel is it trying to record that you don't get?

And you can use the CCHAN to limit it to a channel "range". So let's say it's on Fox and ESPN only and Fox is channel 9 for you. Add the following to the end of your search string: CCHAN 9 210. It will then only record on channels between 9 and 210 which will snag Fox and ESPN. Now lets say your ABC is channel 3 and TNT I think is 245. Then use CCHAN 3 245 and it will only record in that channel range which would then pick up your ABC, Fox, ESPN and TNT. Make sense?

Check this thread for even more help and ideas: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971

8. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Like he said in the OP: "ie I do not get the national network feeds in my area, but if the race is on Fox, it insists on using 88 Fox East, and nothing will make it use a different station."

That's why I'm asking if GAMESEARCH is kicking-in at the time of the recording, or if vega is just assuming it won't record properly because To Do is not showing the correct channel. (A logical assumption, BTW. A pox on the D* marketing folks for creating this mess!)

/steve

9. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Gotcha. In that case, assuming that Gamesearch isn't working for him then he can do two autorecords as a work around. One with CCHAN 2 50 (which will cover the local ABC and Fox) and then another one with CCHAN 200 300 (which should snag ESPN and TNT, modify the upper number to go as high as TNT is).

Not pretty but works.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Game search doesn't work on those national channels (ones in 70's and 80's)... There is a flaw in gamesearch, sort of.... Its actually a flaw in CIG, which we all know about. If a channel is listed as a CIG, then game search will work because the game would be noted as being blacked out for that channel to certain areas.. However, thats not what is happening.. The "games" on fox88 are not showing blacked out, because they aren't blacked out... its actually a channel you don't subscribe to, even though your receiver thinks you do... so the receiver doesn't do a gamesearch.. The problem is that you don't get the channel, even though your receiver thinks it does, so your screwed... This is another reason CIG is crucial...

Some of this issue will go away when they get rid of the channels in the 70's and 80's, because the national feeds in the 300's are correctly identified in the CIG, at least they are for me.

I'd recommend simply creating two ARSL with channel ranges that will ignore the 70's and 80's... that way you also know you will never end up with an MPEG-2 recording from the 70's on ESPN, which I also hate!

11. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    if I look in the history after the recording is missed, it just says "canceled" with no reason.

to use cchan I would need a crystal ball, ESPN, and ABC are not consistent on which stations will broadcast the races. Many times the races do not appear on the actual channel from a search until race day.

how does the Gamesearch work? I've searched here, lots of hits, but nothing telling me what it does, or how to use it.

A good example was the Saturday Nationwide race, ESPN broadcast this on 209 (206 is the usual station), but the DVR insisted on using 206. I checked once the recording was to start, and the DVR canceled it with no reason, usually it will say, not available, or user canceled. I ended up manually recording the race.

This coming weekend, Fox is broadcasting the Sprint race, the boolean search insists on using 88 (Fox East), instead of 29-1 here in Buffalo.

I have setup individual series recordings, but again, short of using a crystal ball, some of the broadcasts are moved to other stations, and the recording canceled, or the wrong program is recorded.

12. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Check out Scott's post again. You can create "ranges" of CCHAN's, so you may be able to "box-in" the channels you would prefer to record on.

RE: How to use GAMESEARCH? It's supposed to happen "automagically". IOW, nothing you need to do.

Sounds like you are affected by the GAMESEARCH "issue" that inkahauts mentions above. May want to report it in the appropriate "issues" thread for the s/w release you are currently using. /steve

13. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, and seeing as you're caught by this bug with channels in the 70s and 80s see my later post about using two of them to box out those channels.
    CCHAN 2 60
    CCHAN 200 300

For example will perform the autorecord search on channels between 2 and 60 as well as between 200 and 300. Tweak the numbers to be what you need.

Certainly not ideal to have to use 2 of them but it should work for you. Once the rest of the channels in the 70s and 80s get shut down sometime this year then you can use just one with CCHAN 2 300 for example to catch all the channels in range.

I've got one for my Red Wings that has CCHAN 215 664. This will catch all games on the NHL Network (215), Vs (603), FS Detroit (663) and FS+ (664). The only thing it doesn't get is my local NBC but those are so infrequent I just do those manually. I could change it to CCHAN 8 664 but then it has the same issue you do with snagging the channels in the 80s.

14. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    Thanks, I'll try boxing in the channels. Is there a limit to the number of sets allowed?

The worst part of this is the todo list is very slow to update with the autorecord. I've had it take up to 5 days to catch the events.

15. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    One set per AUTORECORD, but you can have up to a combination of 50 SL's and/or AUTORECORDS in your PRIORITIZER.
    If you're using an HR20-700, when you get the nat'l release that should be going out sometime soon, you should see some improvement in the speed of AUTORECORD matches to TO DO list population. /steve

16. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    I have the HR21-700. I'll set up 2 separate autorecords, using cchan. It will more than likely record on the SD channel, like it had done most of last season. For some reason the unit will take the SD feed before the HiDef feed, even if HiDef is selected in the autorecord.

17. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    So long as you have SD Duplicates turned off the autorecord search should completely ignore that the SD channels even exist. They do for me anyway.

Another option for you is this: Instead of autorecording run each search from your recent searches list once every couple weeks when you have a free couple minutes or while you're watching something else. Then just record the races you want. Then you'll know for sure they'll record and they'll be in your ToDo list immediately. Some may call it babysitting but I personally do this just because it's habit from my Tivo days which would never record my autorecord wishlists correctly for sports. Anyway, couple minutes every week or so and you're rocking and rolling with no worries.

Another bonus doing it this way is you can just have one search like you have now and you can ignore the matches on channels you don't get like in the 80s.

18. vega

vega AllStar

May 30, 2004
    well using cchan 2 69, you would think the issue would be resolved. Now it records to the Rochester station I do not recieve, in stead of the Buffalo station I do. The only success for any OTA program os to manually record, using record series, autorecord, etc will always record unavailable station. Baby sitting this thing is getting tiresome.

19. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Don't just do CCHAN 2 69. That's only an example. Change the numbers to be what you need them to be. So make the range so that it doesn't include this Rochester station you don't get.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I assume you are referring to a Rochester local? Why is it even showing up in your guide? The only locals that show up for me are my own, and of course the dns locals in the 380's. So using one of the above methods should work fine if you sort out why you have other locals listed you do not receive.