1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Boot up from external HD ??

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by lwien, Sep 28, 2013.

1. lwien

lwien Mentor

Aug 16, 2008
    I'm currently running an external HD on my 722. If the internal hd fails, can the 722 boot up from the external?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Doubtful. I would never say never... but since it isn't designed to be anything but an archive drive, I would not think the necessary info would be there. Also, I'm thinking that IF Dish had designed it to work that way, they would make mention of it.

Basically, when the internal drive fails... you need a new receiver... and are stuck without DVR-related features until then.

3. lwien

lwien Mentor

Aug 16, 2008
    Guess I should get a replacement (either another 722 or a Hopper) being that my DVR is intermittently making some funny noises, like the sound you get when the pads on your disc brakes are gone. It's quiet now though.....

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As was pointed out on the other site, the DVR does not "boot" from the hard drive.

The EHD is strictly for archiving.

5. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]Iwien,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I wanted to touch bases with you to see if you got the replacement 722 or upgraded to the Hopper. If you need any assistance please let me know and I am happy to help you![/SIZE]