1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston PBS in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DrZ, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 13
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Anyone have any idea when DTV will be showing the Boston PBS station WGBH in HD? It seems odd places like Baton Rouge have PBS-HD but not Boston.

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 13
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Seattle is the same way in that nobody seems to know or is willing to tell what they know. You can try calling or emailing WGBH. The ink is barely dry on the PBS Association agreement with DirecTV. We are only allowed to be patient!

3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 13
    jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    WGBH DT has been uplinked for 3 weeks+ now to directv its just not live yet.
    I wonder what is taking so long.
    Look in the transponder maps thread at the top of this page and refer to post 108(i think) and read the the file in .XLS more info is there.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 13
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Huh. Flip the switch I say! My 2 year old need Barney and Friends in 1080i!

5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 13
    mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    I recall a post months ago saying that the Digital Dallas PBS station being on one of the transponders and it is still not turned on either.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 13
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    There are MANY decent-sized DMA's that still don't have PBS in HD (or CW or MyNetwork either) despite the fact that test channels have been assigned to local spotbeam transponders since around November.

There's a lot of work on Directv's end to get those stations all signed-up, the signal properly transcoded and multiplexed into the feeds and then legally retransmit them to us. And there are a lot of individual markets to address, all of which move along at their own individual pace. Hopefully we will see more markets added in the coming weeks.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 13
    jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    I agree then the wife will Happy and the OTA in my walkup attic can go so i can get the room finished off!
    WGBH is holding me up.
    I hope they don't want a Donation:D:D

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 13
    dbsdave

dbsdave Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Yah but how many of those large markets have such a considerable percentage of pbs programs produced in their city. Or such a pivotal role in the earlier development of pbs. Ridiculous I tell you.

9. Jan 7, 2009 #9 of 13
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Got this back from WGBH.com

...As a result of a recently signed carriage agreement between DirecTV and PBS, DirecTV will soon be carrying the High Definition (HD) channel broadcast in local markets (like WGBH HD), and two other national PBS channels that have yet to be determined. Because both World and Create are nationally syndicated channels, it is possible that one or both of them will be carried by DirecTV as a result of this national agreement. There are a number of nationally syndicated PBS channels that broadcast on PBS stations across the country, and we do not yet know which of these channels DirecTV will add to their national channel line up. Please keep in touch with DirecTV for more information about the new local and national PBS services coming in 2009.

Not that helpful, I know....

10. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    Thats the same canned response i got recently
    and calling the station to speak to an engineer is useless.

11. dreamyip

dreamyip Legend

Feb 25, 2006
    I am glad that I finally see PBS HD in San Francisco (KQED)...

12. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    It's sad that I can get Boston crappy CW in HD but not one of the flagship PBS stations in the country!

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, let's use the "More HD in 2009" thread for this discussion. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.