1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Botched Install - No One is Calling Me Back!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Striker, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1 of 10
    Striker

Striker Cool Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Howdy:

This is going to be a long story. You have been warned.:)

Let me start off by saying I'm personally a happy DirecTV customer. I have a relative who is a DirecTV customer too and has been attempting to get extra receivers installed. Since I'm very knowledgeable in low voltage wiring work, DirecTV, etc I took over the project.

This all started earlier in the week when my relative wanted to install additional receivers at their house. They recently added on to the house and now have more rooms. They also have a vacation house and I took the old dish with me and installed it for them (after notifying DirecTV and getting their okay). They move their receivers back and forth when they go up there.

Anyhow, I setup call DirecTV again and tell them I would like 3 additional receivers and I need a new dish. They setup the work order and everything is fine (supposedly). Installation day rolls around and the installer calls and says he will be there in about 15 minutes.

The "installer" shows up in an unmarked soccer mom's van not even wearing a uniform. All he has is some ID badge. His helper doesn't have anything at all. The guy speaks English, but somehow has a hard time understanding me (yeah right). The installer doesn't have any receivers on the truck and then proceeds to want to charge me for the dish. So I'm sitting here wondering why did you even show up if you don't have any equipment? I wasted a half of day taking off work to meet this person (I'm a consultant so I was able to schedule around it).

I tell them to go ahead and put the dish up since I would work out the pricing issue with DirecTV on the phone. The installer refuses to use the Commdeck I had installed and insists on lag screws. After finally convincing him to use it, he then complains about grounding. I have a ground point inside the attic that was installed for the dish).

He calls his supervisor in Spanish so I have no idea what he is saying. They have a ten minute conversation. He agrees to put up the dish and use my grounding. After he sees the coax that was run, he then again refuses to touch it. The coax is RG6 quad shield with a solid copper core. It is on the DirecTV approved cable list. Again, I convince him to use it.

The dish gets installed and peaked. The installer leaves to go find receivers since another tech is close by (or so he says). Right now we're 2.5 hours into the installation. At this point I call DirecTV and explain what is going on. The tech comes back and proceeds to remove the dish (that I agreed to buy) saying DirecTV told him to do it.

I tell the phone representative what is going on and she wants to talk to the installer. Apparently they got into it a bit. The end result is the tech is doing what he wants regardless of what the phone representative tells him. The CSR's supervisor sends a field service request to the local office to get a supervisor on the phone.

A local DirecTV supervisor calls back and says he can't get the tech nor his supervisor on the phone (gee I wonder why). I've been told a resolution is forthcoming and to wait 30 minutes for a phone call. That call never arrived. At this point we're 4 hours into the installation and the tech packs up and leaves (about 15 minutes before the supervisor calls).

I talked to Retentions the next morning and explain everything. They issue me a fairly large credit and again send a field service request for a call. I call again in the evening and tell them I still haven't received a phone call. At this point they cancel the order and work up a new one that correctly states a dish is to be installed at no charge. Unfortunately, I still haven't received any call back and I'm afraid I'm going to get another unprofessional subcontractor.

I have so far wasted a half day's worth of work, hours of time on the phone, and I still don't have anything to show for it. My relatives are very angry to the point of wanting to switch to U-Verse.

I'm afraid that DirecTV is going to screw this up again due to the local office's incompetence. Retentions has done all they can, so I'm looking at what my next step would be right now. I can't afford to reschedule any more clients so this next appointment is all or nothing.

The sad part in all of this is that I should have just bought the dish, installed it myself, and have DirecTV drop off the receivers. Instead I decided to let DirecTV handle it and that was a big mistake.

I believe this situation warrants escalation to the executive customer care (Office of the President is what I think they go by?) level, but it seems none of the phone numbers and e-mails I found work anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do since obviously the local office won't return calls? Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 8, 2010 #2 of 10
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. Aug 8, 2010 #3 of 10
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Both D*and E* are allowing fulfillment company's to spring up with contractors that are paid less than minimum wage to do more and more of the installs.

Most have zero training in the satellite business and the management only cares about making all the money.

A fully certified professional tech like myself is shown the door each and every time I apply for work, This is sad as I truly believe the customer deserves the best install possible when it comes to their home.

You can't get anyone to see past the bottom line anymore.

4. Aug 8, 2010 #4 of 10
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    WoW o WOW!

I would call in and request that an "in-house" HSP tech be sent to your home. We get FSR's (Field Service Reviews) that are requesting a uniformed Directv van installer.

Heres one from a few weeks ago!!

:lol::lol::lol:

5. Aug 9, 2010 #5 of 10
    Striker

Striker Cool Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Morning:

I figured y'all were due for an update. I called again Saturday evening since I never received a phone call from the second field service request. The representative issued a fairly big credit for the inconvenience. He also cancelled the order and proceeded to setup the work order correctly this time. They are supposed to come out Tuesday.

Thank you Sigma for the e-mail address. I just fired off a lengthy e-mail explaining what happened. Hopefully some movement will finally be made on correcting this circus act.

I basically told them that if a resolution isn't found by Wednesday that my relative is going to cancel service (which isn't an empty threat). I requested that an actual DirecTV employed installer show up to perform the work and not a sub-contractor. I'm hopeful this will get resolved, but the damage is already done since my relative is still considering canceling service. DirecTV is going to have to roll out the red carpet to turn this disaster around.

6. Striker

Striker Cool Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Afternoon:

Well I thought everyone would like to know how this situation was finally resolved. The Office of the President took care of the issue. An actual UNIFORMED DirecTV installer came out to the house. He called ahead and was very polite. He installed a new slimline dish on the Commdeck that was installed by the roofing company. He used the existing RG6 lines, terminated everything, and setup the MRZ service with the DECA unit for internet.

Total time he was there was about 2.5 hours. He took his time, did not rush anything, and installed everything correctly. He even switched to a clean shirt when he came inside to program everything. He went through the tutorials with my relative, programmed the remotes, and covered the lease agreements.

I was very impressed with his professionalism and his eye to the finer details of the installation. If only all DirecTV technicians were like this they wouldn't have such a bad reputation regarding their installations.

EDIT: Typo

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Now thats dedication. In my book, if I'm breaking my back sweating to get you TV, you are going to have to overlook the smell :), and I promise not to sit on anything and take my shoes off.

8. Striker

Striker Cool Member

Mar 4, 2005
    He wore a standard uniform when working outside. When he came in he was wearing some sort of blue DirecTV sportshirt. It kind of looked like the one in all those DirecTV commercials.

9. beespark

beespark New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Feeling your pain. Practically the same situation here, in NY, NY. Two weeks out and still in need of a fully functioning receiver (albeit, in my particular case, the tech did realign the dish and run new cable - professionally, I'm obliged to note).

That leaves, umm, only the receiver (or maybe the BBC's, although those were swapped out too). Scheduled for after 2 pm, will see how it goes again. Hey, at least the corporate mothership applied credits in your favor :) No such offer here, luck of the draw I s'pose.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    There is another view!

As their business grew Directv kicked under the the bus the people and businesses that helped them grow. Each and every market is full of pissed off persons who will not work for them or their subcontractors.

As the back log grows and the tech turnover increases their product improves.

Idiots!

You gotta wonder who is driving the bus? System installation complexity & material costs go up as tech capability goes down. The money offered for the work goes down as techs capable of competent work are invited to work in-house for the same pricks that screwed them in days past.

Watch for the book, movie and graffiti on the subject. They coulda been great! The shirts are too late!

Joe