1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Both CBS-HD East and CBS-HD West?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dishbacker, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2005 #1 of 13
    dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    I posted this question in one of the many Voom threads, but I think it got lost. If someone in an O&O market for CBS adds a third dish for 61.5, would they be allowed to get both CBS-HD East (from 61.5) and CBS-HD West (from 148), or does dish make you choose?

And because I know it will come up, the 17 O&O CBS markets are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco.

There are more details on Dish Networks site about figuring out if you qualify:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/cbshd/index.shtml

2. May 4, 2005 #2 of 13
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Some have been allowed to get both. Don't know about all who asked though.
    I have both.

3. May 4, 2005 #3 of 13
    dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    JohnH, I'm guessing you have had both for a long time, or did you do that just recently?

4. May 4, 2005 #4 of 13
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I have gone through 2 seasons of occasional NFL blackouts since getting them.

5. May 4, 2005 #5 of 13
    Cab Driver

Cab Driver New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    I am subscribed to both but I have only one dish to see 148 or 61.5. Currently it's pointed at 148 so I get KCBS-DT but when it was pointed at 61.5 I got WCBS-DT. I am considering moving it back to 61.5 and adding the VOOM originals.

I bought my first HDTV before there was a satellite at 148. All the HD content was at 61.5. When E* added the CBS HD channels it took a couple of calls to convince them that a customer in California had a dish pointed at 61.5 and needed WCBS-DT but they eventually got it enabled.

After E* put a satellite at 148 with the less popular LA locals I re-pointed the dish to 148 and got KCBS-DT enabled. They did not disable WCBS-DT. (It still shows up as a $0.00 per month item on my bill.)

6. May 4, 2005 #6 of 13
    Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004
    I have both...just had them add the East yesterday as I didnt have a dish point at 61.5 before though.

There is no reason why if you qualif for one that you cant get the other unless you get a @#! CSR.

You either qualify or your dont that simple.

Oh yeah I am not charged for either

7. May 4, 2005 #7 of 13
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Washington, DC is an O&O for CBS as well.

8. May 4, 2005 #8 of 13
    Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004

Yes, but it also gets a grade B single so it doest qualify without a written waver

9. May 4, 2005 #9 of 13
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Denver no longer qualifies for the blanket waiver either because of the Grade B areas falling inside the Cheyenne DMA and the Colorado Springs DMA.

10. dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    I also read somewhere that Sacramento was just bought by CBS this week from I think Sinclair(?)...

Thanks for the info everyone. I have friends with DirecTv that couldn't get both feeds, so I was curious if Dish was being picky about it or not.

11. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    No, it isn't. WUSA is owned by Gannett.

CBS/Viacom did own the UPN affiliate in DC, but they traded that to Fox for some other station I can't recall now.

12. Gutter

Gutter AllStar

May 4, 2005
    I read the DISH requiremets but can't tell what their positon would be on my situation to allow me to get the CBS HD. In my local area I am in a CBS GRADE A Analog area. However, that stations doesn't have a digital coutnerpart and no other CBS Digital is available in my area. Do you think DISH will grant an OK for me to receive CBS HD at 61.5 until I have a CBS digital in my area? I do sub to the locals pack. I have sent a FAX to the "Network Team" but have not heard back.

13. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    We only get KCBS-DT out of L.A. when our 2nd dish is pointed at 148. I've moved it to 61.5 and WCBS-DT was not avaliable. I'll be moving it back to 61.5 soon to get the VOOM channels. Guess I'll ask for WCBS-DT when I do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.