1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowl Games... Does how they were playing 6 weeks ago, impact the game

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Earl Bonovich, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I am listing to ESPN national right now....

And they are talking about tomorrows Rose Bowl.
    They are not giving Illinois a chance, because USC is "red-hot" right now.

Last time I checked... they haven't played in 6 weeks either (Illinois is a little longer then that).

Both teams have only been practicing against themselves.

So does how "red-hot" a team was 6-8 weeks ago.... does that have a big impact ?

IMHO... the game is going to come down to execution, and the lack of mistakes. If Illinois holds onto the ball (aka no turnovers), and causes mistakes...... basically the same formula they had against OHIO STATE....

They are going to come out on top.

They have plenty of scoring ability (both the run and the pass, as well as Special Teams)... and have a quality defense.

I am still shocked they are a 13 point dog.

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I agree. It seems to me that long periods of down time can actually hurt a team thats "red hot" more then a team thats not.

I was listening to the Heard (ESPN radio show) this morning and he had a good take on "underdog" teams. His take was that a underdog team was actually motivated more to win the game because of all the media hype and the constant converage of why that team will loose. It makes a lot of sense to me. Tell a bunch of athletes for a month that they are no good and will loose. Even if they are less talented, they will play above themselves for that matchup on just emotions.

3. fineware

fineware AllStar

Jun 12, 2007
    I try not to listen to the hype, because in the end it rarely means anything.

First, you have teams supposedly spending 4-6 weeks practicing. Some of that is going to be examining film of the opposing team - looking for tendencies and vulnerabilities. On the other hand, if the other team is really any good they will try to use those 4-6 weeks to change things up and fix those vulnerabilities.

Secondly, it's almost a rare thing that the same team from late Nov takes the field in late Dec/early Jan. 15 or so bowls so far and how many were coached by interim replacements? And how many usual starters were forced to sit out because of "rules violations" or injuries?

The bottom line is that each bowl game is like starting the season over. Any momentum that any team had going into Thanksgiving is long gone.

All that being said, as a Notre Dame fan, I'm not really qualified to talk about winning bowl games, let alone being in one (this year)... :D

4. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    ...which is why Division 1-A needs to implement a playoff system starting in December. Top two from each conference faces each other based on rankings. Last two fight in the BCS Bowl.
    They can name the playoff games by the Bowls again if they so desire the sponsorship money.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Another reason why there needs to be a playoff.

The WAF (Wife Approval Factor)...

The WAF level would be much higher, with me watching 3 or 4 weekends of 1 or 2 games... then yesterday, me watching nearly 12 straight hours of football.

6. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    This did wonders for Hawai'i ;)

I agree the layoff can hurt though. Plus exams always leave a few key people unable to participate.

7. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Hawaii played yesterday? :D

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    By the definition of the rules.... yes...
    By any other definition.... no.. :D

9. vankai

vankai Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Colt got knocked into next Tuesday......