1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Boxee Box by D-Link

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Chris Blount, Jan 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    D-Link and Boxee got off to an early start yesterday, officially announcing the Boxee Box. The new device is a stand-alone accessory that provides streamed content directly to a connected TV with no need for a computer intermediary. It will ship in the first half of 2010 and cost under $200.

More:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/06/ces-begins-boxee-box-by-d-link-and-more/

2. neocharles

neocharles Legend

Aug 4, 2008
    hmmm, Interesting. I have been thinking about installing Boxee on one of my PCs that I have running w/ a touchscreen monitor... I wonder if there's any advantages to using this box vs. my own PC (besides, of course, it being more portable & already installed/created/etc.)

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This may not be the box that finally breaks down the barrier between IPTV and regular TV but it certainly gets us a step closer.

4. TimeShifter

TimeShifter AllStar

Dec 27, 2005
    Been running Boxee on my AppleTV for some time. It's great. The one exception being on an AppleTV you can't run the Netflix app. But, Pandora is great. The video quality with Hulu is suprisingly good.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I love XBMC (which boxee is based off of), but had to leave it lately as the original Xboxs I have it on dont have a ton of power for HD content. XBMC itself though is still amazing and can play just about anything as well as having tons of tweaks you can apply to any video (video, audio, etc. advanced settings).

I really like my WDTV Live, but it is simplistic at best. I sometimes crave more in depth control. A cheap boxee box would definitely be something I am interested in. Would be even better if I could install a XBMC build on it as I dont need the boxee social stuff :p

6. mikep554

mikep554 Legend

Feb 14, 2007
    Grentz, XBMC can run full-screen HD smoothly on the latest dual-core Atom 330 ION boxes. The ION graphics run the video so that the CPU only hits 20% or so during playback.

Newegg has several, prices start at $269. So for less than $100 over the Boxee Box, you can run XBMC (or Boxee) and have a fully-functional PC behind it.

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for the tip mike, I might look into that as well.

8. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    Saw the Boxee Box at the D-Link booth. If Boxee allowed me to see all of the seasons for a particular show on Hulu, I would use it. Because it uses the RSS feeds from Hulu, only the last season is displayed.

Took a walk over to a small booth stuck in a corner. It was called NuuPlayer. CHECK IT OUT!!! It contains the latest version of Boxee. But it also can bring up Hulu's desktop! You can then play EVERY SEASON for EVERY SHOW! It also has Skype, Twitter, and Facebook. Also, you can add other TV widgets. This is the future, not Boxee Box.

It includes a remote. Right now its only HDMI out but the developer says the next version will be component compatible, don't remember if that includes composite. Built-in wireless or ethernet hardwire.

I am waiting for more info from the company concerning a wholesale price but developer said it has a retail around $300. This will be the box I recommend to my customers.

The only website info I have is www.nuumedia.com. Not much for a website but a signup for a mailing list. I hope this small company can break through because I believe this is the IPTV solution we need.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The nuu box is neat, but different. More expensive for one thing.