1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brain twister -- HR20-100 network settings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SFNSXguy, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    A while back I configured the network settings on my HR20-100 and the Info page showed "Network: connected" and "Internet: connected"... after a couple of recent restarts I noted that now the Info page shows "Network: connected" and "Internet: not connected"... I reviewed my notes and the settings seem the same as before.

Anyone have any insights? (I do not use my LAN for media sharing -- my LAN is hard wired ethernet)

My LAN is connected to my DSL modem via a Linksys BEFSR81 router.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Try unplugging your modem and router. Wait 30 seconds and plug the modem back in. After it starts all the way up plug the router back in. If it is still not connect to the internet. Run the network setup on the HR20 again. If it is still not connected do a menu restart recorder on the HR20.

3. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Thanks for the lightning-fast reply... will try your fix at the end of business today when it won't interfere with the three conputers on the LAN :)

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If your computers on the LAN can get onto the internet okay, I'd start with a menu/restart on the HR20 first and then restarting your modem/router after.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also worth noting is that somewhere around 2 months ago for the HR20-700, I think the network test changed. Prior to that it (probably erroneously) said the network was connected, but it never worked. When the software changed, it said it couldn't connect and sure enough, it couldn't.

6. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    My guess is this is what occurred. I'm still not sure about filling in the network settings. What the heck is the "default"? Everyone's internet provider is different!

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If you have DHCP setup on your router then I would go with DHCP on the HR20 and let it get it's address and DNS from the router.

8. dragonbait

dragonbait Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    When you say to use the defaults you are telling the HR20 to use DHCP. DHCP should work for almost all users.

Like many network enabled devices the HR20 by default uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Simply put, with DHCP the HR20 will broadcast a request on the network for network configuration information. A DHCP server on your network (usually a router) will respond to the HR20 with the network configuration information the HR20 needs to participate on the network. The information includes an IP address for the HR20 to use, a Default Gateway address, and a DNS Server address among other things.

DHCP allows most devices join the network seamlessly without having to enter any information. The router handles the details of knowing your ISPs connection information.

9. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Thank you all for your helpfull comments, but.... no go. Rebooted each and everything. "Not connected" (to internet) on HR20-100. The three computers (two Macs one PC) all connect fine.

??????????

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    SFNSXguy, I didn't see where you told us how your HR20 is hooked to your LAN... wired, wireless, powerline, etc.

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    What does it say for the gateway & DNS addresses? Might provide a clue to what's going on.

12. dragonbait

dragonbait Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    Press and hold the Info button on your remote for about 4 seconds until the System Info & Test screen appears. Then press channel down 4 times to scroll down 4 pages. There you will see the network configuration information the HR20 is currently using.

What does the IP address look like? 169.x.x.x? 192.168.0.x? 10.x.x.x?

Knowing that helps point us at areas to explore. Once you check the address then here are areas to explore based on the address you are seeing.

If the IP Address starts with 169:

Then the HR20 could not get an address from your Linksys BEFSR81’s DHCP server for some reason. This could be because a network connection is broken somewhere, so check the cables. Another possible cause is that the Linksys’s DHCP server has been disabled. You would then need to enable it. Once last possible reason I can think of right now is that you have more devices on the network than the addresses the DHCP server has available for allocation. Most DHCP servers can be set to limit the number of addresses that are available. If the Linksys is set to only hand out 5 addresses and the HR20 is the 6th device to ask for an address the HR20 will not get an address. There are many resources on the Internet on the various configuration screens within the Linksys and of course I am sure some of us can help you if you feel lost.​

If the address starts with a 192, a 172, or a 10:

Then you are getting an IP address from some DHCP server – most likely the Linksys. The Linksys should give out a 192 address unless you changed the default in its DHCP configuration section. The Default Gateway should be the IP address of the Linksys BEFSR81. The first three parts should be exactly the same as your IP address. The last number will likely be 1. Therefore, if the HR20’s IP address is 192.168.0.102 then Default Gateway should be 192.168.0.1. Finally, the DNS address should either be the same as the Default Gateway address or be the address of one of your ISPs DNSs. If you are seeing what I describing here and the box is still saying it is not connected to the Internet then we will consider other potential problems.​

13. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Found the problem!!

I had accidentally moved the ethernet cable from port #1 to port #2. In both ports the HR20 shows as "connected" but only in port #1 will it connect to the internet.

DOH!!!

14. minterca

minterca Mentor

Feb 14, 2007
    Can some one tell me which is port i and which is port 2?
    I'm at work right now so I can not see my unit, but I assume the top plug is port 1
    Maybe this will be why mine will not connect to the internet.:confused: .

15. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Top one is #1

16. minterca

minterca Mentor

Feb 14, 2007
    I used that port. I have a Buffalo Ethernet converter hooked up to my HR20-100.
    I have Verizon Westell 327w Modem/Router wireless to the Buffalo. My HR20 shows network connected/ Internet not connected. I can however see my music and pictures.
    I also can hook a laptop via ethernet cable to the Buffalo converter and get on the internet. I'm really confused.

17. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    This has to do with the setting on the HR20 for the Gateway/DNS settings most likely. Check those settings on the HR20. Some people have noted that the DNS name needed to be changed to the real DNS IP address in their setup. To get that information, you can go to your PC that is on the internet and open up a command window. At the prompt, type in "ipconfig /all", this will display the IP DNS number and the gateway IP number. It could also be a setting on the wireless adapter. I recommend turning "clone" mode off. If you use the wireless adapter on a XBOX, then clone mode will need to be enabled.

18. minterca

minterca Mentor

Feb 14, 2007
    I will try that when I get home.
    I also picked up a long ethernet cable so I can try it hardwired to my router. Temporarily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.