1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bravo HD??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mrfatboy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I have noticed that some shows on BravoTV HD do not have the [HD] logo in the guide data on my HR23. However, the shows looks great and as far as I can tell it is in HD. Why is there not any [HD] logo in the guide data?

The show I'm talking about are Flipping OUT, Million Dollar Listings, Atlanta Housewives. I'm sure there are others but there are the ones I noticed.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don;t know off the top of my head if those shows are actually being shown in HD, but if they are and the guide isn't listing it in HD, its a guide data issue that has nothing to do with Directv.. tribune or bravo is to blame... Bravo supply guide data to tribune, they sell it to directv (and everyone else) and directv just passes it along to us...

3. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I have noticed that some channels seem to have som e pretty good encoders for doing the stretch effect. Couple that with the fact that the HD channel has the bandwidth to deliver the best possible SD quality, (unlike most SD channels which are compressed to death) and some shows that are just SD actually look pretty good. So, it is possible that the shows are SD, but still look better than regular SD.

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I havent noticed that also but thought nothing of it. I just assumed that Tribune was sending the wrong info to Directv so my guide info was wrong. Thats not the only channel I have seen it on. Its happened to me in some of the premier channels as well.

5. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Bravo is one of the NBC-U channels and they all seem to have taken the high road and don't stretch SD content.

The HD tag in the guide is incredibly unreliable. A lot of shows on Bravo don't have it but are in HD, and a lot of shows (for example) on CMT or TBS are listed as being in HD, but aren't. (CMT doesn't stretch, but TBS does, confusing people who are apparently blind into thinking it's really HD.)

I think the tag is dependent on the network sending that info to Tribune.

6. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I watched "Flipping out" the other night again. It has to be HD. It looks too good not to be.